What is this bug?

Magic City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at my tank at night with a flashlight and found these critters/bugs. I didn't want to risk it so I took out the whole Zoa island they were on and double dipped it and they properly washed off along with 3 more that were hiding in the crevices.

I want to know if anyone can tell me what they are and more importantly if they are harmful. The only thing I can add is that they were "crunchy" when pressed on. From my initial googling, it looks like it could be a type of small isopod (I saw some monsters while in my google hole that definitely freaked me out!)

IMG_2478.jpg
IMG_2482.jpg

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at my tank at night with a flashlight and found these critters/bugs. I didn't want to risk it so I took out the whole Zoa island they were on and double dipped it and they properly washed off along with 3 more that were hiding in the crevices.

I want to know if anyone can tell me what they are and more importantly if they are harmful. The only thing I can add is that they were "crunchy" when pressed on. From my initial googling, it looks like it could be a type of small isopod (I saw some monsters while in my google hole that definitely freaked me out!)

IMG_2478.jpg
IMG_2482.jpg
Looks alot like chitons to me. The fact that you pointed out that they’re crunchy. Chitons are harmless algae eating mollusk, so rest assured that they wont cause problems for your corals.

OP
OP
Magic City Reefer

Magic City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked up Chitons and I can see why you say it looks like them. However, Chitons don't seem to have legs (at least not noticeable), while mine did seem to have tiny legs. I tried to take pics after I removed them but the camera couldn't focus and I just have a bunch of blurry images. Those pics would have been helpful.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I looked up Chitons and I can see why you say it looks like them. However, Chitons don't seem to have legs (at least not noticeable), while mine did seem to have tiny legs. I tried to take pics after I removed them but the camera couldn't focus and I just have a bunch of blurry images. Those pics would have been helpful.
They're probably isopods if they aren't chitons.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're probably isopods if they aren't chitons.
+ Agreed. If they scuttle along especially once you shine light on them, then they are most likely an isopod but if they dont, and they either stay in the same spot or move slowly, then its a chiton. Another method to confirm this is to get a long stick or tongs and nudge it a little. If it scuttles away quickly, then its an isopod. If it doesnt, and it holds its ground, it’s a chiton.

Last edited:

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m probably still going to stick with Chiton since they look way too much like chitons. Its not uncommon to have chitons that have extensions or filaments on their sides that may be mistaken for “legs”. Then again, will need a bit more information from you to confirm that.

OP
OP
Magic City Reefer

Magic City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stay in the same spot or move slowly, then its a chiton
They definitely did not move or scuttle when I tried to pick at them.
+1 Chitons, very common, good CUC. Go ahead and peel one off to check it out.
I actually removed the ones I saw last night. Too late now, but at least now I know they are not all the bad. According to that picture it matches the ones I saw. They curled up when I crushed it a bit like in the picture.

OP
OP
Magic City Reefer

Magic City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your input! I am only 3-4 months into this hobby and I am quickly starting to realize that one of the most interesting parts is the diversity of life in our tanks far exceeds the fish and corals that attract most people to the hobby in the first place.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They definitely did not move or scuttle when I tried to pick at them.

I actually removed the ones I saw last night. Too late now, but at least now I know they are not all the bad. According to that picture it matches the ones I saw. They curled up when I crushed it a bit like in the picture.
Man, you removed one of the good ones... I wish I had chiton hitchhikers.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I too believe Chiton. They do like dark areas. One way to confirm is, if you touch or poke with a rod or tube, They will ball up like a roly-poly in the garden

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back