What is this damage indicative of? Montipora tissue damage

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I run the battery of tests, I'm wondering if anyone can identify what type of damage this is. Does it look like STN/RTN, sting from another coral? Bleaching from too much or too little light? It was doing great in this spot for quite a while, then this spot showed up. The surrounding tissue seems to be okay though, and I don't think the damage is spreading any more. It has stayed this general size for a couple weeks now. I forgot what type of encrusting montipora this is. It's something mystic or whatever.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I run the battery of tests, I'm wondering if anyone can identify what type of damage this is. Does it look like STN/RTN, sting from another coral? Bleaching from too much or too little light? It was doing great in this spot for quite a while, then this spot showed up. The surrounding tissue seems to be okay though, and I don't think the damage is spreading any more. It has stayed this general size for a couple weeks now. I forgot what type of encrusting montipora this is. It's something mystic or whatever.

Mystic sunset
What is this?

Screenshot_20220920_145918_Chrome.jpg

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look alot like monti eating nudi damage, they are very small and white, a magnifying glass would help a ton. You should be able to easily see if its them.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nudis will start and stay localized on one monti, they have no reason to leave as long as there is food, then you will start to see other little bleached spots. They are hard to treat in tank, and a dip will only kill the adults. A sixline or other similar wrasse will make short work of them. I had zoa eating nudis, and they lasted all of 2 weeks with a sixline munching on em.

OP
OP
Zer0

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't specifically inspected for nudis at night, but I'm always looking at the tank at all hours of the day, including during lights out. I've never seen anything that would indicate nudis, but it can't hurt to look for them I suppose. I'm like 95% certain that I don't have nudis. This is only a 10G tank, with only a few montipora species that are nearing a year old. I also haven't added any coral or inhabitants in months. It would be hard not to notice nudis going to town on my coral.

I'm not sure how else to prove it, but that spot is just bleached coral. It doesn't move, there's nothing alive there.

What should I be looking for when I search for nudis at night? I know what monti nudis look like, but like I said, I've never seen anything resembling nudis in my tank at all, but perhaps I'm missing something?

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't specifically inspected for nudis at night, but I'm always looking at the tank at all hours of the day, including during lights out. I've never seen anything that would indicate nudis, but it can't hurt to look for them I suppose. I'm like 95% certain that I don't have nudis. This is only a 10G tank, with only a few montipora species that are nearing a year old. I also haven't added any coral or inhabitants in months. It would be hard not to notice nudis going to town on my coral.

I'm not sure how else to prove it, but that spot is just bleached coral. It doesn't move, there's nothing alive there.

What should I be looking for when I search for nudis at night? I know what monti nudis look like, but like I said, I've never seen anything resembling nudis in my tank at all, but perhaps I'm missing something?
If you can, try blowing it off with a turkey baster. Underneath especially.

OP
OP
Zer0

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, try blowing it off with a turkey baster. Underneath especially.
I actually lightly dust nearly everything each morning with a turkey baster feeder thing, to remove any detritus. But I will focus more on the edges and try to get underneath in the crevices more adequately if possible.

Divemaster561

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nano tanks are some of the hardest tanks to keep water parameters correct in.. If one thing goes wrong the tank will crash.. the best thing to do is let the tank cycle.. use beach sand.. or matrix rock.. I have a 13gal nano tank and its thriving.. They're not particularly meant for SPS coral.. to small of water volume.. you can start SPS in a nano tank with proper flow and a good light.. its tricky, but I still wouldn't recommend a nano tank for SPS coral.. try a better light and up your flow.. and if your nitrates, nitrites, phosphates, are off try a over hang skimmer.. SPS like almost perfect water parameters.. high light, high flow.. mine has a all in one/ with over flow box and it just doesn't do the job for keeping the tank as clean as Acro prefer.. I have a bottle brush in mine, its slowly but surly growing.. but would definitely be much happier in a larger tank with a better light.. I only put it in there because I had to cut aiptasia off of the frag and it came with an Acro crab.. he's still hanging around in the rocks.. But I've decided to just do zoa's in the nano tank. Almost impossible to kill in a nano tank.. good luck though!! nano's aren't easy!! try a frag rack that's higher to your light and closer to the powerhead? I can't really see the coloration on the bottlebrush so I'm moving it to my 20 gal so I can see better growth and color if it doesn't do better.. I wish that I used sand or bare bottom instead of the matrix rock due to mine not having the best filtration.. I will post a pic of my nano tank and my 20 gal tank :p

Divemaster561

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystic sunset
What is this?

Screenshot_20220920_145918_Chrome.jpg
it looks like a small Asterina Invert. But it's hard to tell from the picture. Does it look like a tiny white starfish? or it could be a tad of bleaching or agitation from probably light par. But other than that the coral looks relatively healthy. They are pest. Its best if you see them to remove them from the coral. But its difficult to tell from the pic. But from what I see it looks like a invert.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back