What is this grass like algae growing on my substrate?

Deltec

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
1CA61B23-2973-42FC-A6EC-9803DA7F9B72.jpeg

BRS

MaxTremors

View Badges
Reaction score
I don’t know, but I’ve got a little bit of it (or something really similar) growing on one of my rocks (live). I’m leaving it for now, as it doesn’t seem to be spreading quickly (it’s grown/spread a little bit).

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It's all over the substrate in my whole tank, I know you asked if I had live rock does this algae look similar to something that comes on live rock?
It looks like a macro algae to me. Hair algae looks like hair, bryopsis is more like a fern looking algae.
That's why I asked about live rock or from a frag out of someone else's tank

OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
It looks like a macro algae to me. Hair algae looks like hair, bryopsis is more like a fern looking algae.
That's why I asked about live rock or from a frag out of someone else's tank
It honestly might be from rock from my old tank that I put into this currently tank when I was being to the cycle to "kick start" the bacteria in the tank, I only had the rock in there for many 3 days and it was just regular macro rock when I originally bought it

BeltedCoyote

Lord of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
I’m not well versed in this stuff other than doing research while slowly pursuing my build. But with my limited experience I agree that it seems like some type of algae.

as far as what specific type I’m not yet your guy. Perhaps a type of macro as others said?

Aquashella
AS
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting
Santa Monica Filtration