What is this growing in my tank?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the uv should be fed from display or directly inside the DT to be most effective vs Dino’s. I think everyone who starts dry rock gets Dino’s it’s a rite of passage yr doing nothing wrong. When I got it I dosed neonitro and fed a ton. I also did 3 day blackout covering the tank with cardboard for darkness as well as uv in display it eventually worked , along with adding Dino’s competition such as macro algae and miracle mud.

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you will have to keep UV in/suck water directly from the display until dinos are gone.

A sump will not usually have enough turnover for UV to keep up with the rate at which Dino’s multiply. I hope that makes sense.
Thanks! That makes perfect sense! I will make sure to have it in the main tank.

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the uv should be fed from display or directly inside the DT to be most effective vs Dino’s. I think everyone who starts dry rock gets Dino’s it’s a rite of passage yr doing nothing wrong. When I got it I dosed neonitro and fed a ton. I also did 3 day blackout covering the tank with cardboard for darkness as well as uv in display it eventually worked , along with adding Dino’s competition such as macro algae and miracle mud.
I will switch it to the main tank, makes perfect sense for this bloom.

That does make me feel better tbh, nervous tho cause it looks so icky!

I will probably extend the black out until Friday, Ive been going back and forth about how long to do it. lol

I have chaeto in my sump, and I fed phyto today. I havent put my quickstart that I got from algae barn, or my genesis bacteria that I got from polylab. (I have yet to put in the quickstart bacteria from algae barn) BUT I was putting 3 drops of genesis every morning in my sump for about a week or so, but stopped adding it because LFS suggested I calm that down since I started getting the algae. Of course they or I didnt know what it was at that time and we were assuming it was detritus.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please help a newb out!

so we had some of this on the sand bed and I was told by the LFS that my emerald crabs would munch on it. I thought it was an “ugly phase” but I’m not sure and the corals I have aren’t as full and lush as they were just a week ago. It hasn’t gone away and to be honest seems like there’s more of it now.

Tank is very new ~1 month. Yes we did fish in cycle, it’s my boyfriends fault.

Just tested my water:

ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-10 ppm ( tbh I can never read this accurately. Maybe I am colorblind)
Calcium: 380/400
Phosphate: .25 ppm
Carbonate: 107.4 ppm

Now for pics

EAA16678-BC07-4252-9B9B-59FA799E584F.jpeg
2AFCA9B3-1A89-4115-8CC3-262EA8566405.jpeg
51CA4C50-3058-4680-8165-370C77965338.jpeg
34CC278D-70AD-46CE-B12B-CCA1D23CE7B8.jpeg
E93FB2D1-26DE-41FF-9F88-221658263863.jpeg
3E46D965-3D59-402D-AE66-92531D505AB0.jpeg
We’re all your questions answered?
I’ve been swamped at work as it’s the beginning of the year and we are planning forecasts and strategic planning. They know I’m leaving by summer so are trying to learn everything and squeeze every tool out of me before it’s too late. I get time throughout the day but generally limited until evenings

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep dosing the bacteria , Dino’s is a bacteria and more diversity will weaken them. Dino’s really thrive in a low diverse tank , that’s why dry rock usually follows with Dino’s. 3 days fish and coral will be fine , it’s just like a storm passing through. Just make sure to keep feeding and nitrate and phosphate up

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re all your questions answered?
I’ve been swamped at work as it’s the beginning of the year and we are planning forecasts and strategic planning. They know I’m leaving by summer so are trying to learn everything and squeeze every tool out of me before it’s too late. I get time throughout the day but generally limited until evenings
Yes, thank you!

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep dosing the bacteria , Dino’s is a bacteria and more diversity will weaken them. Dino’s really thrive in a low diverse tank , that’s why dry rock usually follows with Dino’s. 3 days fish and coral will be fine , it’s just like a storm passing through. Just make sure to keep feeding and nitrate and phosphate up
Got it! I usually dose in my refugium, is that good? I also put the phyto in the return tank? Good too?

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for anyone who may care lol

Tank is looking much better.

as you can see we also added a filter sock on my return for extra filtration!

lights have been off and I’m feeding extra and dosed bacteria.

will be adding a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in the evening.

999E64FD-D608-4F66-BC9E-854DFBB05A6D.jpeg

9601B8F7-BC55-41E8-BA1F-31B7E16C07AA.jpeg

40E6219C-679E-426D-9DE8-FE3CE1D74FAD.jpeg

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that you are address the dinos. Now here is the big question..have you formulated a plan to prevent them in the future?

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that you are address the dinos. Now here is the big question..have you formulated a plan to prevent them in the future?
No. Lol

BUT aim thinking I need to feed as much as I was feeding before and dosing my bacteria as I was doing before. The last time I went to the LFS he said that my phosphate was a bit high. He didn’t give me a #.

so because of that I was feeding less and stopped dosing bacteria.

Chrisper518

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help a newb out!

so we had some of this on the sand bed and I was told by the LFS that my emerald crabs would munch on it. I thought it was an “ugly phase” but I’m not sure and the corals I have aren’t as full and lush as they were just a week ago. It hasn’t gone away and to be honest seems like there’s more of it now.

Tank is very new ~1 month. Yes we did fish in cycle, it’s my boyfriends fault.

Just tested my water:

ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-10 ppm ( tbh I can never read this accurately. Maybe I am colorblind)
Calcium: 380/400
Phosphate: .25 ppm
Carbonate: 107.4 ppm

Now for pics

EAA16678-BC07-4252-9B9B-59FA799E584F.jpeg
2AFCA9B3-1A89-4115-8CC3-262EA8566405.jpeg
51CA4C50-3058-4680-8165-370C77965338.jpeg
34CC278D-70AD-46CE-B12B-CCA1D23CE7B8.jpeg
E93FB2D1-26DE-41FF-9F88-221658263863.jpeg
3E46D965-3D59-402D-AE66-92531D505AB0.jpeg
Looks like Regular Algae, however they're definitely is large amount of it, which is obviously unhealthy. Recommend just a simple water change to lower the nitrate level or maybe change the filters in your tank.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tanks with dry rock almost always go through this. As the po4 builds in the tank the dinos go away. It's a much different problem then Dino in an established tank.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Lol

BUT aim thinking I need to feed as much as I was feeding before and dosing my bacteria as I was doing before. The last time I went to the LFS he said that my phosphate was a bit high. He didn’t give me a #.

so because of that I was feeding less and stopped dosing bacteria.
Ok. You are getting a lot of conflicting advice..which is normal. Feed more but your phosphates are high. (FacePalm) Going to be hard to control phosphates through feeding.

Simply adding bacteria is going to be a very expensive habit. You are better off trying to keep the bacteria you have alive. After a few bouts of Dinos..i broke down and bought a kamoer X1 pump. I now dose nitrates and Phosphates through out the day to keep a reasonable level in my tanks. I also have a refugium with Cheato that sucks up the nitrates and phosphates constantly. Cheato keeps the levels down..dosing adds it back in. You will hear the phrase 'high input high output'...this is what people are talking about. Keep a good stream of nutrients coming in but also a good way of exporting them so they dont get too high.

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. You are getting a lot of conflicting advice..which is normal. Feed more but your phosphates are high. (FacePalm) Going to be hard to control phosphates through feeding.

Simply adding bacteria is going to be a very expensive habit. You are better off trying to keep the bacteria you have alive. After a few bouts of Dinos..i broke down and bought a kamoer X1 pump. I now dose nitrates and Phosphates through out the day to keep a reasonable level in my tanks. I also have a refugium with Cheato that sucks up the nitrates and phosphates constantly. Cheato keeps the levels down..dosing adds it back in. You will hear the phrase 'high input high output'...this is what people are talking about. Keep a good stream of nutrients coming in but also a good way of exporting them so they dont get too high.
Yes, always getting conflicting advise LOL.

I tested phosphates when I made this thread which were .25 ppm. Not sure if thats high? I will test everything again today. Will be hitting up the LFS on Saturday or Sunday so will get it tested again.

I would prefer to NOT dose tbh. We have refugium as well. Currently have bioballs, but thinking to remove them, and just do filter socks only.

Are there ways to not get bad algae in a tank thats not constantly putting chemicals in it?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate isn’t high , are you using api? I ask because I could never tell phosphate using it , it always read 2ppm and after I got the Hanna checker I learned it was .3ppm, I would just feed heavy you will have an ugly phase but it won’t be Dino’s , just get some more clean up crew to and feed more would be my input

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate isn’t high , are you using api? I ask because I could never tell phosphate using it , it always read 2ppm and after I got the Hanna checker I learned it was .3ppm, I would just feed heavy you will have an ugly phase but it won’t be Dino’s , just get some more clean up crew to and feed more would be my input
Yeah I have an API kit. So I know its a bit sucky.

I think I have a pretty large clean up crew but we were thinking of getting more snails.

I have 15-20 hermits
15-20 snails
4 or is it 5 emerald crabs
1 cleaner shrimp
2 fire shrimp

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have an API kit. So I know its a bit sucky.

I think I have a pretty large clean up crew but we were thinking of getting more snails.

I have 15-20 hermits
15-20 snails
4 or is it 5 emerald crabs
1 cleaner shrimp
2 fire shrimp
Pretty good cuc , I would add nassarius snails to help the the sand bed but looks good

bigboiireef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see that things are looking a lot better! I had a similar problem with my tank. I ended up doing no lights for 4 days and a 40% water change. I noticed the algae still came back later on. Adding a solid clean up crew really helped me eliminate the problem. Hoping the algae doesn't come back. It's a real pain to deal with haha

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back