Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2672.JPG
IMG_2670.JPG
IMG_2668.JPG
IMG_2672.JPG
IMG_2670.JPG
IMG_2672.JPG
I've got a small algae outbreak going on. It started a couple of weeks ago when I increased the time on my lights. I let it go to see if my CUC would manage it. I'm not worried about it yet, the CUC is hard at work. I'm just curious as to what it is. It's not slimy at all. It doesn't blow off easily, seems stuck to the rock pretty good. If I really blast it with a baster some of it might blow off. In a couple of places there's a tiny air bubble trapped on it. There are a lot of colors, yellow/brown, yellow, teal, green, and some maroon and purple. I think some of it could be some coralline starting to form but I'm not sure. What does it look like to you smart folks?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging by the age of the tank in the images it's either diatoms or cyanobacteria. :)

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like a cycling tank; what stage is it in?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2672.JPG
IMG_2670.JPG
IMG_2668.JPG
IMG_2672.JPG
IMG_2670.JPG
IMG_2672.JPG
I've got a small algae outbreak going on. It started a couple of weeks ago when I increased the time on my lights. I let it go to see if my CUC would manage it. I'm not worried about it yet, the CUC is hard at work. I'm just curious as to what it is. It's not slimy at all. It doesn't blow off easily, seems stuck to the rock pretty good. If I really blast it with a baster some of it might blow off. In a couple of places there's a tiny air bubble trapped on it. There are a lot of colors, yellow/brown, yellow, teal, green, and some maroon and purple. I think some of it could be some coralline starting to form but I'm not sure. What does it look like to you smart folks?
sponge

OP
OP
Girthrockwel

Girthrockwel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like a cycling tank; what stage is it in?

It's young, a couple of months old. My nitrates have been at 20ppm, I'm guessing that's the culprit.

is it mushy? fluffy ? if it have volume and shape, porous, fixated its likely sponge.

It's hard, it's not dusty or slimy. Seems pretty well stuck to the rocks. If I blast it with a turkey baster a tiny bit of it may come off mut not much. There's also one spot of the sand bed with a tiny bit of color to it.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell with the Hue of the lighting but to me I can see coraline growing and the other may very well be coraline of a different color being that it doesn't blow off. Since your tank is so new it'll be going through many stages (most you may think are ugly so we call it the UGLIES) it is normal aging process. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back