What is this junk?

CoralManz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards Dino NO3 5ppm PO4 0.5ppm boosted up from undetectable in an effort to kill it.Only got worse. @ReefSquad #reefsquad
Algea?Dino?.JPG

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It very much looks like dinos.

We have a very useful thread going in the Nuisance algae forum that deals with dinos. I urge you to check it out, some of the most knowledgeable people on dinos post there almost every day.

Information we need to help.

1. How old is your tank.

2. Parameters (you already mentioned the most important ones).

3. Where are the dinos (obviously on the rock) but is sand bed involved?

There are several different species of dinos and some are susceptible to things that other species aren't. For this reason a picture or better yet a video of your dinos under a microscope is very helpful. There are some very inexpensive student microscopes made by AmScope that do a great job. They come in very handy for other things as well.

This is the scope I bought but there are less expensive ones that will suffice.

Strategies that seem to be helpful for all species include....1. Keeping NO3 and PO4 detectable. I would recommend keeping NO3 5-10 and PO4 0.1-0.18. 2. Dosing silicates (Sponge Excell by Brightwell is one choice). 3. Dosing bacterial cultures (Dr. Tim's Waste Away, Microbacter7, etc.). 4. Increasing biodiversity...adding pods, established live rock, etc. 5. Manual removal.

Species specific strategies are mainly geared to using UV. The species most susceptible to UV are ostreopsos and coolia.
DinoX is not recommended as results have been very mixed and lots of coral loss has been associated with it's use. This is not something that can usually be overcome quickly (the exception being the UV sensitive species). Don't over feed to keep NO3 and PO4 up as the organics fuel the dinos. Dosing Sodium nitrate and inorganic phosphorous is preferred and is very inexpensive and easy to do.

Please post in the big dino thread and you should get lots of help.

Let me know if there are any questions after reading this! Don't give up, this can be beat!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back