What is this Microorganism and which fish eat it

Shnolby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These little bugs swim around in the top 6” or so of the water column. I can see them best when the return is off, that’s when I shot this video. I know they’re very, very small and the upload quality isn’t great. It wouldn’t let me post a video, so I screen capped it and circled areas where clouds of critters can be seen. They are probably gonna have to be ID off of a description, they’re just to small to see with a camera or eyes. They look like tiny white swimming bugs.

I’ve had seed shrimp in freshwater tanks, and these things look very similar. I’m not worried about these guys causing issues. It’s my understanding their just micro CUC and don’t pose any threats to coral or fish.

However, their numbers are starting to get high, and I’m sure there’s a REEF SAFE fish out there that would love to snack on these. Any ID on what these little critters are, or what eats them? My clowns and Benny aren’t interested in them
7B6A12E0-8BF3-41F0-9500-FD0DFC63C27F.jpeg

Last edited:

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably some sort of pod.
However, their numbers are starting to get high, and I’m sure there’s a REEF SAFE fish out there that would love to snack on these. Any ID on what these little critters are, or what eats them? My clowns and Benny aren’t interested in them
Why the rush and desire to let them be eradicated?... Do they obstruct your view of your corals or fish? Most pods are completely harmless and a natural part of the reef tank. The most beautiful coral reefs in the wild will be filled with these guys.

Normally for pods, their population declines or crashes after a while. Cutting back on feedings would reduce their numbers. Most people intentionally try to keep their pod population high, so I don't think you should purposefully try to get something that eats it just to get rid of them. However, if you did really desire to, wrasses and chromis are likely to be eager to eat them up. Same with scooter blennies and other types of dragonets, but you'd end up with a fish (in the case of dragonets) that you will have to wean on frozen food or keep introducing pods to your tank after you eradicate the pods. Usually not a great plan to use an animal to eradicate something unless you can shift them onto other foods.

OP
OP
S

Shnolby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the rush and desire to let them be eradicated?...

No real rush, just want to prevent their numbers from getting to a point where they do obstruct my enjoyment of the tank. My goal isn’t to eradicate them completely, just to keep them at a reasonable population. I realize they’re a sign of a healthy, natural ecosystem.

Thanks for a very detailed answer!

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real rush, just want to prevent their numbers from getting to a point where they do obstruct my enjoyment of the tank. My goal isn’t to eradicate them completely, just to keep them at a reasonable population. I realize they’re a sign of a healthy, natural ecosystem.

Thanks for a very detailed answer!
They won’t hurt your equipment.
I believe wrasses eat pods, so do mandarins but for the mandarin you would want to keep that population going

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back