What is this new growth on my coral frags?

techytechguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some new coral frags from WWC last week. I didn't dip them as they recommend but I did put them in a newly setup quarantine tank. I plan to eventually dip them before they go in the display tank.

After 5 days or so I noticed this growth around the micro goniopora and I also see it around some of the other frags but not as much. It is not green so doesn't seem to be algae.

What is it? Some kind of sponges? Should I be worried or do any treatment?

and just today I got a Pitho crab from reef cleaners and it started eating it.

PXL_20210809_144317272.jpg PXL_20210809_144256029.jpg PXL_20210809_144415502.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend that you pop these frags off those plugs with who knows what growing upon them and glue them to a new plug or a clean rock. Toss the unknown and don't deal with hitchhickers that may be good or bad.

( I can't tell from your photo's what you have? The corals look nice, I would keep them.)

HTH :)

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, It comes of if I brush it

That makes a sponge ID even more likely. Most sponges are beneficial and some are essential for recycling Hydrophillic and hydrophobic DOC. But as mentioned above if a sponge is growing around corals enough to shade them they should be removed from around the coral. Here's videos you might find informative on DOC, microbial stuff and sponges and also a not so good video i did using stainless steel straws to remove stuff when doing water changes.

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

Element cycling on tropical coral reefs.
This is Jasper de Geoij's ground breaking research on reef sponges. (The introduction is in Dutch but the content is in English.)

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

Differential recycling of coral and algal dissolved organic matter via the sponge loop.
Sponges treat DOC from algae differently than DOC from corals

Surviving in a Marine Desert The Sponge Loop Retains Resources Within Coral Reefs
Dissolved organic carbon and nitrogen are quickly processed by sponges and released back into the reef food web in hours as carbon and nitrogen rich detritus.

Natural Diet of Coral-Excavating Sponges Consists Mainly of Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC)

The Role of Marine Sponges in Carbon and Nitrogen Cycles of COral Reefs and Nearshore Environments.

Steel Straws

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back