What is this on magnificent foxface

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I need some help identifying what’s wrong with my foxface. So about a week ago I decided to add a powder blue (what a mistake this was) in my tank that was stocked with a powder brown, blue throat trigger, spotted grouper, 2 saddleback clowns, yellow tang, sohal tang hippo tang, long nose wrasse, filefish and magnificent fox face. So I added the powder blue and the sohal tang just went to town on everyone in the tank ended up losing most of the fish except the yellow tang, blue hippo, wrasse, filefish and the magnificent foxface. Got rid of the sohal and Foxface only surviver that is still going through (ich?). Have him in a quarantine tank right now on day 2 of copper power is this the way to go with whatever the fish is dealing with or do I need to go a different route?
6107FEDA-7F6B-4EC0-8A0F-2F52F8124543.jpeg
44711A28-6E1E-423B-8D57-C2B53F50F090.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,sorry for your losses, let's get some expert help here,best wishes , @Jay Hemdal

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I need some help identifying what’s wrong with my foxface. So about a week ago I decided to add a powder blue (what a mistake this was) in my tank that was stocked with a powder brown, blue throat trigger, spotted grouper, 2 saddleback clowns, yellow tang, sohal tang hippo tang, long nose wrasse, filefish and magnificent fox face. So I added the powder blue and the sohal tang just went to town on everyone in the tank ended up losing most of the fish except the yellow tang, blue hippo, wrasse, filefish and the magnificent foxface. Got rid of the sohal and Foxface only surviver that is still going through (ich?). Have him in a quarantine tank right now on day 2 of copper power is this the way to go with whatever the fish is dealing with or do I need to go a different route?
Trying to look for it I’ve seen a bunch of threads with this problem but no solution.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had sohals (real jerks) show displaced aggression - where they get upset and just start attacking everything in sight. That said, this doesn't look like just mechanical damage. I see cloudiness to the eye that is suggesting another issue - Neobenedenia flukes. Since the fish is already isolated, I think you should try a five minute freshwater dip to look for dead flukes. Put a gallon of dechlorinated tap water in a clean dark bucket with an airstone. Add the foxface (remember their spines are venomous!) after 5 minutes return the foxface to the tank and settle the dip water. Look at the bottom for gray seedlike things that look like scales, if yo see them, those are Neo. The treatment for that is different than copper. A FW dip is not without its risk to the fish, but my thought is this; if the FW kills the fish, it was close to death anyway, and wouldn't have survived.

Another key item - how is the Sohal doing in its new location? If it is fine, then Neo is less likely to have been the culprit.

Jay

OP
OP
C

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized you can’t really see in the pictures but there are some white spots on him. There are coral/anemones that could of stung it being he wasn’t really swimming around in the tank. Stays somewhere swims to another spot then stays there for hours. I’m going to try the fw dip when I get home later today. The sohal was still being aggressive in the other tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the sohal has no symptoms , Neobenedenia is less likely. I’d still consider the FW dip, but you may find to a dead end.
Jay

OP
OP
C

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I still do the dip now or keep it in the copper for the ick then do the dip once the ick is gone? Fingers crossed he started eating today but still not swimming much.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks very much like bite marks and one from sohal tang which is why I evicted mine. He did very similar to my dussomieri.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I still do the dip now or keep it in the copper for the ick then do the dip once the ick is gone? Fingers crossed he started eating today but still not swimming much.
My new tangs have ick currently and I’m not huge on quarantine tanks. Yeah funny how that works lol!!;Blackeye:p;Shifty;Troll But anyhow, ick is always present in the water column. Always. Fresh, salt, our drinking water you ask? Yep. So from my experience, I’d power feed with some garlic guard and healthy variety to get him up to shape and able to fight off any issues they have.;Shamefullyembarrased;Bookworm

OP
OP
C

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tangs have ick currently and I’m not huge on quarantine tanks. Yeah funny how that works lol!!;Blackeye:p;Shifty;Troll But anyhow, ick is always present in the water column. Always. Fresh, salt, our drinking water you ask? Yep. So from my experience, I’d power feed with some garlic guard and healthy variety to get him up to shape and able to fight off any issues they have.;Shamefullyembarrased;Bookworm
Lol same here this is actually my first time even quarantine a fish, I never have, in the 2 yrs I started this hobby. So would you say the copper power plus garlic guard or just the garlic guard. I usually soak there food in it about 2 to 3 times a week.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sohal had no symptoms in my tank or in it’s new home.
Your later photo shows probable ich. Remember that fish can have more than on issue going at one time. Weird though that you sohal didn’t break with ich also.
Jay

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol same here this is actually my first time even quarantine a fish, I never have, in the 2 yrs I started this hobby. So would you say the copper power plus garlic guard or just the garlic guard. I usually soak there food in it about 2 to 3 times a week.
Sounds great I use garlic guard and still am currently. I did have a bunch of Tangs die several months ago due to lack of feeding+Ich but trial and error :( feeding is key. I soak then let it dry then feed it

OP
OP
C

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update, did the freshwater dip last week didn’t see any scales, waited for the white spots to go away in the copper, I didn’t want to stress him more than he was. He was swimming and eating fine 2 days after the dip. Sadly found him dead this morning :(. Thank you for all the help and advise.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back