What is this on my clown fish?

MJ59HK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clown fish with some other fish and corals plus invertebrates. The female clown fish has some sort of patch on the right side near her gills - see attached photos. The wife first noticed this couple of weeks ago. It has not gotten bigger or smaller. From what I can see the fish is healthy and well. She eats whatever she can put in her mouth. Can some one please tell me what is the patch on her and whether I need to treat it?

FYI - Also my tank has a recent white spot outbreak. Touch wood, but the blue tang and the sailfin tang seem to have recovered from the white spot, but it is still persistent on the clown fish pair. I am currently running a 40w Pentair UV steriliser.

20220104_202140.jpg 20220104_202147.jpg 20220104_202149.jpg 20220104_202155.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clown fish with some other fish and corals plus invertebrates. The female clown fish has some sort of patch on the right side near her gills - see attached photos. The wife first noticed this couple of weeks ago. It has not gotten bigger or smaller. From what I can see the fish is healthy and well. She eats whatever she can put in her mouth. Can some one please tell me what is the patch on her and whether I need to treat it?

FYI - Also my tank has a recent white spot outbreak. Touch wood, but the blue tang and the sailfin tang seem to have recovered from the white spot, but it is still persistent on the clown fish pair. I am currently running a 40w Pentair UV steriliser.

20220104_202140.jpg 20220104_202147.jpg 20220104_202149.jpg 20220104_202155.jpg

Hi, those clownfish still have a moderately advanced case of ich, it doesn't look to me that the UV sterilizer is managing it well. I think in the end, that will be more of an immediate problem for the clownfish.

Jay

OP
OP
M

MJ59HK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, those clownfish still have a moderately advanced case of ich, it doesn't look to me that the UV sterilizer is managing it well. I think in the end, that will be more of an immediate problem for the clownfish.

Jay
Hi Jay, thanks for your feedback. What is the best option for me to treat the clown fish at this stage? Cheers.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, thanks for your feedback. What is the best option for me to treat the clown fish at this stage? Cheers.
Well, not any options in a DT with invertebrates. A treatment tank with copper or hypo would work, but then, you'd still have ich festering in the tank since the other fish are still there. Some people have seen benefit from using Polyp Lab Medic, but others, not so much:

Jay

OP
OP
M

MJ59HK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not any options in a DT with invertebrates. A treatment tank with copper or hypo would work, but then, you'd still have ich festering in the tank since the other fish are still there. Some people have seen benefit from using Polyp Lab Medic, but others, not so much:

Jay
Thanks again Jay. Fortunately I had purchased two small tanks (plus other accessories) just before Christmas for an emergency situation like this. So I will use this to do a Hybrid TTM as discussed by @Humblefish. I will do this for both clownfish and hopefully it will get rid of the ich as well as the patch on the female clownfish. Cheers.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again Jay. Fortunately I had purchased two small tanks (plus other accessories) just before Christmas for an emergency situation like this. So I will use this to do a Hybrid TTM as discussed by @Humblefish. I will do this for both clownfish and hopefully it will get rid of the ich as well as the patch on the female clownfish. Cheers.

The trouble with TTM is you still need a clean tank to house the fish during the fallow period to clear the DT of ich - 45 to 76 days. If you run TTM and then return the fish to the DT, they will likely get reinfected.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back