What is this on my corals they had them when I got them from LFS

SDReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its only on those two corals none of the rest

776BFEAF-FF73-4720-8782-A25F7469FBB4.jpeg C64CE68D-9A63-47C6-95E4-2639B7132E12.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7340.MOV
    14.2 MB

Hollington37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly are you pointing out? In the first image I think I see slime coming off of the top, which would be normal for a zoanthid coral that’s been just added or agitated some way as its a defense mechanism. I’ve read it’s toxic though so I’d wash my hands well. In the second picture that, that piece looks to be okay. Could you maybe point out or describe what you see?

OP
OP
SDReefing

SDReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes its like a brown string material coming off of them both

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 24

Hollington37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its

it’s probably just cyano algae, though
Sorry for multiple post, Cyanobacteria when I had it, could sometimes get hung on the polyps and look stringy like that. a single goby ended that outbreak in a few days, red hair algae looks like that too and I’ve got rid of it as well by controlling my nutrients and getting some snails. The only reason I ask about bubbles is because of dinos but ive never had any dealings with them

OP
OP
SDReefing

SDReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for multiple post, Cyanobacteria when I had it, could sometimes get hung on the polyps and look stringy like that. a single goby ended that outbreak in a few days, red hair algae looks like that too and I’ve got rid of it as well by controlling my nutrients and getting some snails. The only reason I ask about bubbles is because of dinos but ive never had any dealings with them
Theres no bubbles around it. I just got 2 hermits today but the tank is only one month old so idk if I can get goby yet. It was in there in the lfs

Hollington37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres no bubbles around it. I just got 2 hermits today but the tank is only one month old so idk if I can get goby yet. It was in there in the lfs
Theres a lot of things that hitch hike from LFS so most people dip coral before putting them into the display tank. With a tank being that new I would be monitoring nitrate and phosphate religiously, and doing water changes. Use atleast RO if RODI water is not available or a premix. Most tap water is going to be high in phosphate which is gonna be like gas on a fire for algae plus its not good health wise for the whole tank.

OP
OP
SDReefing

SDReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a lot of things that hitch hike from LFS so most people dip coral before putting them into the display tank. With a tank being that new I would be monitoring nitrate and phosphate religiously, and doing water changes. Use atleast RO if RODI water is not available or a premix. Most tap water is going to be high in phosphate which is gonna be like gas on a fire for algae plus its not good health wise for the whole tank.
I use coral dip and a 4 stage rodi water filter. Also im not using any white lights right now

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back