What is this on my zoa rock ?

qukurtis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to get a picture of this creature, finally got a quick video. Can someone tell me what it is before I throw this whole rock out ?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3436.MOV
    10.4 MB

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looked like an amphipod to me. Have you noticed whether the zoas seemed disturbed by it? I think in most cases they are harmless (if it is an amphipod) but I'm not an expert in zoas so I'm not sure if there are zoa eating types. I'm sure someone with more expertise will chime in.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm does sort of look like a ampripod,like what some call a " scud" I believe but seems very big and them tentacles at front look very rigid indeed.
Let's try get some more experienced guys and gals on it for you .
#reefsquad @Mibu @vetteguy53081

Seemed very strong trying pull that polyp inside didnt it

Edit: can't see on video front to back of it to see the size of it,could you not pull the rock out and swish it about in some salt water to see if it comes out from the rock and maybe some coral dip to see if can get it to loosen its grip so to speak then you can get picture of it in a container as could even be only showing front end of body.
But my first impression is same as yours and dont like look of it tbh

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And maybe dipping the rock (if needed) instead of throwing it out? Hopefully that will work if the experts consider it a pest. It would be a shame to have to throw the whole rock out.

OP
OP
Q

qukurtis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add I had already dipped the whole rock prior to putting it in, and tried to use a turkey baster to blow anything out of it that I could.

I believe it has some length to it, as I did see it on the bottom of the rock the other day and it was out maybe inch and half.

I am paranoid about any type of bristle worm/Bobbit of any sort as they freak me out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
that is one big amphipod and often found among zoa and meaty coral. Temove with a 3/8" tube siphoning it out or add a wrasse such as lunare which will have a good meal. They can get 3-4cm long.

This is a better view

1638833086450.png

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The issue is, the worm may not live in the rock. It could be living below the rock. You break the body of a eunice, the tail will grow a new head.

You can remove the rock and try to look through burrows. See if you see him at all

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This one.. Is not an amphi pod. I saw the jaws it was grabbing food with. At first i thought large amphipod. Something weird about that movement made me second guess myself.

And @ying yang should he able to id an amphipod easily now

If the eunicid is a predator or a scavenger. Not worth the risk of finding out.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one.. Is not an amphi pod. I saw the jaws it was grabbing food with. At first i thought large amphipod. Something weird about that movement made me second guess myself.

And @ying yang should he able to id an amphipod easily now

If the eunicid is a predator or a scavenger. Not worth the risk of finding out.
Yeah my first thought was large ampripod but the Ridgeness of the tentacles plus looks like only showing its front end and could have quite some size to it still in the rock,I then watched video several times and the way it grabbed it and tried bringing in it with some force,I thought some kind of worm also and now op says seen it stick out inch and half.

So to op now job of getting it out of dont want risk it,as been said some are scavengers but some cause havoc in a tank,in an ideal world you would see it in that rock and quickly grab the rock with one hand and have a largish net in other hand and put the whole rock with worm inside rock into net.
But it will be fast and like mibu said it may not live in the rock but in burrows so will have to do what you can to try remove it without breaking it.
Depending how big it is,I've seen some make bottle traps by cutting top off a pop bottle and inserting it back inside the bottle and put some bait inside bottle and some womens tights in bottle so worm gets stuck in them and the worm will scurry around the outside of bottle and hopefully not find the opening.
Let me see if can find an image for you .
But as I say all depends on length of the worm

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depending how big it is,I've seen some make bottle traps by cutting top off a pop bottle and inserting it back inside
Issue is, as above poster said. The worm is eating zoas, he wont leave until those zoa are gone. That's his food supply now.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Issue is, as above poster said. The worm is eating zoas, he wont leave until those zoa are gone. That's his food supply now.
Fair point.
If was my tank I would just be putting on marigold gloves ( as be little nervous ha ha) and just going straight to town and lifting up that zoa rock first and putting in 5 gallon buckets if saltwater and swishing rock around and inspecting it and remove if there.
If not on zoa rock then be looking for burrows like you said and lifting / removing rocks until found the bugger then remove it.
Stuff like this gives me the creeps and especially when been in tank long time and are huge .

To op even though gives me the creeps,keep us updated and show us picture once you capture it as find interesting .
And good luck ^_^

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Whats making me believe its an amphipod is when the zoa reacts, it springs back, Eunicid generally will not- they do what they want.
Im looking on a phone screen- What size is this hole ? You could place a dab or two of Gel superglue into the hole and whatever it is will get stuck. A eunicid will come running out to get it off of him. A pod will succumb to it

Back