What is this on my zoa

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a red worm, did a treatment in koralMD and pulled out as many as I could but those suckers really are in there, did kill a feather duster but what are these red worm things. Just appeared I’ve had this zoa for the entire life of my tank at 4 months, zoa has been through a lot and now this too.
B05288D8-2BB6-4D5D-93D5-7BE5EBA8755F.jpeg
37288F60-B224-4F38-853F-137A11F429A0.jpeg

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad it was supposed to say red spaghetti worm. Which are not harmful.
could also be red macro algae.
It’s really stuck on there, wouldn’t macro algae have shown up sooner than 4 months though? I could have had an hitchhiker on my leather coral I added a few ago. I dipped and didn’t seem to affect the red stuff at all so when I dipped the leather maybe it didn’t affect it? I know koralmd can be pretty strong though.

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really stuck on there, wouldn’t macro algae have shown up sooner than 4 months though? I could have had an hitchhiker on my leather coral I added a few ago. I dipped and didn’t seem to affect the red stuff at all so when I dipped the leather maybe it didn’t affect it? I know koralmd can be pretty strong though.
If it’s macro algae you may want to take it off the coral as long term can be harmful. However if it’s spaghetti worm then you are fine to leave it be.

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s macro algae you may want to take it off the coral as long term can be harmful. However if it’s spaghetti worm then you are fine to leave it be.
Well it definitely does not want to come out I got tons of pieces off but it don’t wanna come off at all. It actually looks like a strand of dragons tongue IMO.

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure and you said you tried dipping so nothing else you can really do… Maybe just wait and see if it moves.

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure and you said you tried dipping so nothing else you can really do… Maybe just wait and see if it moves.
Yeah I will, if anything it was only a 10$ frag and a smal piece broke off awhile ago and doesn’t have the red stuff of it so I still have a piece to grow anyway if it dies from macro algae. Is dragons tongue a slow growing macro algae?

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I will, if anything it was only a 10$ frag and a smal piece broke off awhile ago and doesn’t have the red stuff of it so I still have a piece to grow anyway if it dies from macro algae. Is dragons tongue a slow growing macro algae?
It’s say to do a 3% peroxide dip for 1.5 minutes. I’ve done this with both of my zoas and it seems to only improve their health. Even if it doesn’t get rid of the red worm/algae, it shouldn’t harm your zoas at all. The most it’ll do is irritate them for a week at most but not if they’re closed before dipping.

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s say to do a 3% peroxide dip for 1.5 minutes. I’ve done this with both of my zoas and it seems to only improve their health. Even if it doesn’t get rid of the red worm/algae, it shouldn’t harm your zoas at all. The most it’ll do is irritate them for a week at most but not if they’re closed before dipping.
100% peroxide or 50/50 saltwater?

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% peroxide or 50/50 saltwater?
I do peroxide alone. Only as long as it’s 3% Hydrogen Peroxide it shouldn’t be too strong. And make sure to time it so that they aren’t in there any longer than two minutes. After you take them out, hold it in a container of your tank water and swish it around. See if anything falls off and if it does, swish it around more until you think you’ve gotten everything off. If nothing comes off, you can put the frag back in your tank and, if it is red algae, it should die from the peroxide, and then fall over within a couple days max.

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do peroxide alone. Only as long as it’s 3% Hydrogen Peroxide it shouldn’t be too strong. And make sure to time it so that they aren’t in there any longer than two minutes. After you take them out, hold it in a container of your tank water and swish it around. See if anything falls off and if it does, swish it around more until you think you’ve gotten everything off. If nothing comes off, you can put the frag back in your tank and, if it is red algae, it should die from the peroxide, and then fall over within a couple days max.
Hm. I kinda might just play it out honestly, if it’s macroalgae cool I got free macroalgae growing. I’m gonna move my other piece of the frag onto a different rock so it don’t grow onto it to. I’ve been kinda just going with the flow with the tank. I unfortunately don’t have space for a quarantine so I just been hoping for the best and letting the tank go through what it gonna go through bc honestly even quarantine won’t stop some things from happening. This is just the first thing I was worried about being bad in the tank. Thankfully so far for my first 4 months has been nothing but good accept for a mistake on my bad. Was going with the route of not testing my water and my Alk dropped to 4ppm. I did somehow apparently unrelated to Alk lost 2 gobys suddenly but all has been well, happy healthy corals clowns and a engineer goby now. So it is what it is, eventually I’ll have a tang to eat it up if it is actually macro algae. I’m cool as long as it’s nothing bad, good to know if i ever have a issue I can do the peroxide though if it turns out to be bad.

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm. I kinda might just play it out honestly, if it’s macroalgae cool I got free macroalgae growing. I’m gonna move my other piece of the frag onto a different rock so it don’t grow onto it to. I’ve been kinda just going with the flow with the tank. I unfortunately don’t have space for a quarantine so I just been hoping for the best and letting the tank go through what it gonna go through bc honestly even quarantine won’t stop some things from happening. This is just the first thing I was worried about being bad in the tank. Thankfully so far for my first 4 months has been nothing but good accept for a mistake on my bad. Was going with the route of not testing my water and my Alk dropped to 4ppm. I did somehow apparently unrelated to Alk lost 2 gobys suddenly but all has been well, happy healthy corals clowns and a engineer goby now. So it is what it is, eventually I’ll have a tang to eat it up if it is actually macro algae. I’m cool as long as it’s nothing bad, good to know if i ever have a issue I can do the peroxide though if it turns out to be bad.
I was terrified to try peroxide but zoas seem to love it! Not all corals will though I learned the hard way that Sympodium and GSP aren’t to fond of it and that a minute of exposure to it will wipe out a colony

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was terrified to try peroxide but zoas seem to love it! Not all corals will though I learned the hard way that Sympodium and GSP aren’t to fond of it and that a minute of exposure to it will wipe out a colony
Yeah that is kinda worrisome. Definitely wouldn’t do it on anything expensive then, I stress a little doing the KoralMD bc I’ve read stuff online about it killing corals too. Trial and error though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back