What is this on the side of my Bowerbanki?

Wrapse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this coral a couple days ago and just noticed this barnacle like thing on the side. It likes to suck in water and spit sometimes. It has a hard shell. It also has super skinny orange white arms all over it. Is this thing harmful?

414775F9-CC75-4C46-82ED-1F6C7B6384ED.jpeg

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to guess sponge but sponges don't move. Rip it off and tooth brush the Skelton just to be safe imo.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I occasionally find a scallop groing under rock and coral in my tank. it turns into another thing to deal with. Just hard to tell from the picture.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just got this coral a couple days ago and just noticed this barnacle like thing on the side. It likes to suck in water and spit sometimes. It has a hard shell. It also has super skinny orange white arms all over it. Is this thing harmful?

414775F9-CC75-4C46-82ED-1F6C7B6384ED.jpeg
Clatharina sponge which is a poriferan type sponge and can be invasive. Remove with either a dental pic or small crochet needle.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your description matches and it looks very similar to bivalves found on my ocean-direct live rock. I have not identified specifics yet.
Mine almost look like part of the rock, as they are embedded in holes and cracks (not sure if they bore the spaces or just fill them).

I'll have to look into scallops to see what type might be common on rock from the Florida Gulf.

Edit: @Wrapse After a quick online search, it looks like mine (and possibly yours) may be similar to thorny oysters (see first image: thorny oyster fully open), though it looks like this pictured species is from the Indo-Pacific.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I've always called these scallops? There obviously not now that I read the article. Mine appear more like mussels.

OP
OP
Wrapse

Wrapse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your description matches and it looks very similar to bivalves found on my ocean-direct live rock. I have not identified specifics yet.
Mine almost look like part of the rock, as they are embedded in holes and cracks (not sure if they bore the spaces or just fill them).

I'll have to look into scallops to see what type might be common on rock from the Florida Gulf.

Edit: @Wrapse After a quick online search, it looks like mine (and possibly yours) may be similar to thorny oysters (see first image: thorny oyster fully open), though it looks like this pictured species is from the Indo-Pacific.
Have yours ever caused any problems or do you remove them all? Because if this guy is no harm I might let him be.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can see, I'd guess either a Thorny Oyster (Spondylus sp.) or a Jewelbox Clam (family Chamidae). They're harmless filter feeders.

As a note on scallops, they have the little "tails" at the back of their shells that make them easily identified.

OP
OP
Wrapse

Wrapse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can see, I'd guess either a Thorny Oyster (Spondylus sp.) or a Jewelbox Clam (family Chamidae). They're harmless filter feeders.

As a note on scallops, they have the little "tails" at the back of their shells that make them easily identified.

The mouths look exactly like the jewelbox clam pictured in this article. The one in my tank has tiny little light orange whips on its body. Do the jewelboxes have those?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back