What is this plant/anemone like creature?

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this guy growing on my live rock? Thanks for your help!
4c801b2311128a26c6dfdf75a805e2f5.jpg

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn. I’ve heard nothing but terribleness about these guys. What’s the best way to eradicate? Peppermint shrimp?

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guy might be too big for a peppermint to take out. There are a couple of options that immediately come to mind: Aiptasia X and Berghia Nudibranchs. If its accessible you can just remove the rock, scrap that joker off and apply some reef glue to the spot so it (hopefully) doesn't come back.

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to both of you. I ended up using Aiptasia X. I had bought it in case I ran into an Aiptasia issue, but I prefer to find non-medicated answers when necessary. However, since you said it was too big to be nuked by a shrimp, I decided I should go for it. Might still get a shrimp or two since I’m guessing others will crop up, but I need to research more about them first.

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasers are becoming more and more popular. You could looks into that option too.

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a lot of luck with peppermint shrimp all the small ones are gone he’s still picking at the larger ones at night though

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to both of you. I ended up using Aiptasia X. I had bought it in case I ran into an Aiptasia issue, but I prefer to find non-medicated answers when necessary. However, since you said it was too big to be nuked by a shrimp, I decided I should go for it. Might still get a shrimp or two since I’m guessing others will crop up, but I need to research more about them first.
No research necessary, they are problematic and will return unless you have predators for them. I am sold they actually come in some food sources, I have seen them crop up in systems that quarantine everything yet they still show up... Even on nuked dry pukani after an acid bath... Those darn things just evolve....:confused:

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reeferdood - I meant I need to research peppermint shrimp. Wanted to make sure they were compatible with the other CUC in my tank, but it looks like they are super peaceful and easy to care for. I'll be getting a couple stat. :)

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is brand new with no coral on the rocks yet I would honestly just pull that rock out, scrape it up, glue up the spot it was on to stop that same one from returning, and then put the rock back but monitor it, or just not just that rock at all. No need to go out and buy livestock to eat it or introduce chemicals to kill it if your tank is brand new and you can just take the rock out to address it with more physical means. In my opinion the chems and livestock to remove them should be reserved for situations where removing the rock isn't really possible.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back