What is this red dot growing on my glass?

Sharp#

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I found this, approximately 1 millimeter big, red dot close to my new blastomussa wellsi. I got currious and started to make macro photos of it to see if it could be related to my new coral. While doing it I also saw a small red worm moving around in the sand on a glass(?) straw.

As I looked around in my aquarium I started to see more, but smaller, red dots, making me doubt that this one is actually releated to the blastomussa.

What do you guys think this is? Could it really be a baby blastomussa or just something else (algea, coralina, ...)?

IMG_1560.jpg IMG_1564.jpg

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not expect this to be another coral. At first glance, I would have thought it was some form of sponge, but upon closer inspection - the body structure is similar to the green dots on your glass - that leads me to believe it's a an algae, possibly/probably coralline.

If it wipes off clean, a softer algae/slime/bacteria
If you need to scrape it, coralline

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sharp#

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your answers!

I first tried to wipe it of with a sponge (actually a coarse filter sponge, which I had at hand), but the dot stayed on the glass. I then managed to remove it by scraping it off with my thumbnail.

It wouldn't suprise me if it was coralina as I see small dots of coralina appearing all over the place on my live rock.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your answers!

I first tried to wipe it of with a sponge (actually a coarse filter sponge, which I had at hand), but the dot stayed on the glass. I then managed to remove it by scraping it off with my thumbnail.

It wouldn't suprise me if it was coralina as I see small dots of coralina appearing all over the place on my live rock.
Too purple, Coraline algae is a pinker colour

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was more keen to say pink cotton candy algae, going by the colour and structure

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back