What is this red things

s14y3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't seem to find what creature this is. I'm afraid they are going to summon devil:p. originally they are scattered, but now they line in circle.

Can anyone help me identify them?

edit: okay search a bit in forum. found out may be formanifera. so are they bad?

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-20 at 16.50.32.jpeg

Last edited:

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homotrema rubrum, which are indeed foraminifera. Nothing to worry about, actually pretty cool imo. If you look really, really closely you should be able see tiny strands poking out of the shell. They feed on particulate matter. :)

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry @LisaAP they could also be vermetid snail. Which are a plague under the right conditions and a risk of injury to fish and aquarist maybe the op could supply a better pic under white ligh as they kinda look like homotrema also.

OP
OP
S

s14y3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homotrema rubrum, which are indeed foraminifera. Nothing to worry about, actually pretty cool imo. If you look really, really closely you should be able see tiny strands poking out of the shell. They feed on particulate matter. :)
Okay, thanks. Mostly it doesn't even move. So I'm pretty sure your answer is correct. For 3 week i never ever realized it can move. Suddenly today they make the circle.

OP
OP
S

s14y3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry @LisaAP they could also be vermetid snail. Which are a plague under the right conditions and a risk of injury to fish and aquarist maybe the op could supply a better pic under white ligh as they kinda look like homotrema also.
Sorry i don't have better camera. That the best, but maybe i can take another angle later.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree. They don’t look like any Vermetids I’ve seen and these used to be common on wild rock/coral skeletons back in the day

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A better photo might help but they don't look like vermatids to me. Sadly I have many of those so I know what they look like. :confused:

Here is a photo of some Homotrema had in my old tank years ago for comparison.

fullsizeoutput-150_1_orig.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back