What is this thing crawling all over my live rock?

shogun1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could anybody id the round flat thing on the coralline algae? It constantly crawls over the surface of the rock.

thing.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limpet I belive.

Is that a clam there? Cool.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely limpet...but be careful those keyhole limpets tend to dine on sps occasionally....

ReefMaster101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup completely positive its a keyhole limpet are harmless to everything including corals.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup completely positive its a keyhole limpet are harmless to everything including corals.
I would have to disagree. I've seen that exact variety strip a stylo in a couple of hours after being in my tank for months without incident....

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that kind of live rock is a pinnacle example of why we do not dose ammonia to new tanks that simply moved live rock over from a pet store into a home aquarium. they show up ready to go, hitchhikers in tow, very nice quality all real strong coralline looking great. whether the animals are enjoyed clearly ranges among posters but the lethality of randomly dosing ammonia to every known starting tank is off base and harmful to them whether they're beneficial or not. we pay good money for rock with that kind of loading. I take it you didn't initially blast this live rock with ammonia, or if you did the levels never got very high

how did you cycle this tank to protect those animals

look at the embedded history of fanworm calcifications just by the details alone id have to say that's cured lr from a pet store and not marco rocks someone brought up to par. its just too nice and varied. my lr is just the same this is my fav kind. I even see a little sprig of potentially invasive rhodophyta up top lets go ahead and dental scrape him out next water change while we're picking inhabitant culls. that is the kind of live rock you can look at it and guarantee its full of filtration bacteria w no testing, those animals are such good bioindicators. to have treated the rock w medicine to strip its nitrifiers and keep all those animals and coloration just doesn't occur, the visual test including calcifier verification indicating full nitrification ability is pretty darn reliable, eyeball cycling. this thread is now linked to our cycling thread on page one as a fine example of skip cycle rock.

can't wait to get confirming or alternative histories for the rock from what we can tell off pics

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back