What is this thing? Looks like Aiptasia but with red base/mouth?

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you folks know what is that thing? It looks like Aiptasia but then why does it have a red base like that? So I'm starting to think if it is really Aiptasia after all?

I couldn't get front facing angle as it is facing towards the back of my tank.

20220728_184418.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you folks know what is that thing? It looks like Aiptasia but then why does it have a red base like that? So I'm starting to think if it is really Aiptasia after all?

I couldn't get front facing angle as it is facing towards the back of my tank.

20220728_184418.jpg
Would need to see it to where the oral disk was shown to ID. Tons of nems out there. Can we get a little background on the rock if you cannot get a good pic? Is the rock sourced from the Gulf of Mexico?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like an orange tube anemone possibly which are harmless.
More than likely not a tube anemone. Does not look like enough tents and tents are not long enough. Tube nems have numerous rows of long tents when expanded. This nem appears to have no more than 2 rows of tents, maybe 3 rows from the pics.

Also, tube nems are known fish eaters, and are possibly harmful due to this.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve well if it's a Nem, it be good already; I guess I was just tossing either Aiptasia or something else but then I've never seen Aiptasia like that. Most possibly the rock is sourced somewhere in Australia as I live in Australia. I did have 1x Lyretail Anthias gone missing but then he was already .... not well so not surprised if he ends up in this Nem's mouth. I could never find this Anthias anywhere (but this hobby never surprises me, as in I may even find him outside the tank in few months time).

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely not a tube anemone. Does not look like enough tents and tents are not long enough. Tube nems have numerous rows of long tents when expanded. This nem appears to have no more than 2 rows of tents, maybe 3 rows from the pics.

Also, tube nems are known fish eaters, and are possibly harmful due to this.
I agree those tube nems tents are long this looks a lot shorter. Agree they are also fish eaters so not so fish safe.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no way to get better pic ?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve well if it's a Nem, it be good already; I guess I was just tossing either Aiptasia or something else but then I've never seen Aiptasia like that. Most possibly the rock is sourced somewhere in Australia as I live in Australia. I did have 1x Lyretail Anthias gone missing but then he was already .... not well so not surprised if he ends up in this Nem's mouth. I could never find this Anthias anywhere (but this hobby never surprises me, as in I may even find him outside the tank in few months time).
I also refer to aips as nems, so still could be an aip or similar. Being as this is Australian rock, it could also be a nps nem. Quite a few of them and not in aip family.

As for the Anthias, if I am looking at that pic right and getting the scale/size right, doesn’t look like it could eat a fish.

If you cannot get a good pic, but can see the oral dish and count the rows of tents around the critter, I may still be able to ID.

For example, it could be something similar to the pic below. While this one was collected in FL on the Atlantic side, there are a lot of nems around the world that are very similar.

8BB90144-2D08-4D6B-A572-F2B60DC9582E.jpeg

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't got time to move the rock but it retracted (because of my broadcast feed ... i think)

It definitely has a red base there.

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-29 at 3.49.29 PM.jpeg

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thanks for the pointer. It does look like that from the picture, as so the other pictures from Google but when I did a youTube on Tealia, it looks different.

I know they have patterns on the bottom. Alright another question was this live ocean rock? And if so do you know where it’s from?

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they have patterns on the bottom. Alright another question was this live ocean rock? And if so do you know where it’s from?
Definitely a Live Rock (ocean) and my guess it would be from in and around the area (Australia) or perhaps Fiji, basically Oceania.

Back