What is this vein like growth on my glass?!?

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the last couple days in the morning I have had a couple of these “vein” like growths going up my glass from my substrate. I have never seen them before in my tank or in any posts. Not sure what they are. Any help is much appreciated! TIA.

BDE06EA6-BF90-429B-98CC-C90192750CA9.jpeg 489CEF69-D00C-41C8-B661-C912270D3F88.jpeg 1369D328-139A-4047-B91E-F9AF622940A8.jpeg 35F93FFE-0009-4978-809E-A915E1AC311B.jpeg

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it retract back into the sand?
Looks like a worm, Harmless

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine faded with time. Basically just a bloom.
I also have a small dragonette that makes short work of the little bugs.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the info. I’ll scrape em and keep an eye out!
You’re welcome.
Yes belive the veins are a part of the spawning process. The rest of the time they just clean up the tank.

Nature is pretty cool.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm gonna revive this thread real quick. Although I don't have a definitive answer on what these are but here are my two cents. I have the same thing in a really really dirty ten gallon that I use to breed pods and macros (kinda like a trashy fuge). I have two "colonies" at the moment. At first I though they were the silicate spindles of a sponge until I realized that overnight they would catch and kill some copepods. I don't think they are worms since a gentle tap from a toothbruh bristle cuts them in two. However, I do thik that this could be a type of primitive bryozoan which are a type of encrusting animal (like a predatory sponge). If you look at the tip of each "branch" you will see some similarities to the structure of a bryozoan's "mouth" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryozoa#/media/File:Ectoproct_generalized_01.png) just imagine the tentacles as the cobweb. I hope this helps! :)

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind the bryozoan thing. I correct my mistake and have found a positive ID. The growths are a protist called Labyrinthula that act as commsensals, mutualists, and pathogen. Now it only gets crazier from here. These guys can use algae (mainly chaeto; which they act as a mutualist), sea grasses (pathogen), and sea stars(pathogen) as host. In fact the devastating "Seastar Wasting Disease" is caused by these things. Now in reef tanks they shouldn't possess much of a problem thankfully (unless you plan to keep seagrass or coldwater sea stars). The reason that they move around is how they reproduce. They kinda just break off some cells and send them off into the water column where they eventually settle onto something . The filaments are how they move around short distances.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind the bryozoan thing. I correct my mistake and have found a positive ID. The growths are a protist called Labyrinthula that act as commsensals, mutualists, and pathogen. Now it only gets crazier from here. These guys can use algae (mainly chaeto; which they act as a mutualist), sea grasses (pathogen), and sea stars(pathogen) as host. In fact the devastating "Seastar Wasting Disease" is caused by these things. Now in reef tanks they shouldn't possess much of a problem thankfully (unless you plan to keep seagrass or coldwater sea stars). The reason that they move around is how they reproduce. They kinda just break off some cells and send them off into the water column where they eventually settle onto something . The filaments are how they move around short distances.
I'm still going with aliens.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back