What is this white spot/nodule on my green clown goby?

Deisler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have had this green clown goby for 3 days. He was a bit stressed in the first 2 days, but seems to have settled down on a candy cane branch now. He refused to eat in the first two days, but ate some spot-fed live copepods this morning (day 3), so I thought he is going to be happy.

However, this morning I also found a white nodule between his eyes on the 'nose'. It definitely was not there yesterday. It protrudes from the skin and is the only nodule I can find on his body. His fin and body parts look spot-free and fine.

I am a bit worried about this, as it could be ich as I read from many websites. However, it also looks similar to 'Lymphocyctis virus'. I have never dealt with fish disease before, so have no idea how to tell them apart.

Can anyone tell what this is, and what I should do, please? I don't have a QT tank, but I have two clown fishes in the tank for almost two years so I don't want to spread the disease if it is ich...

Tank is 60L with a HOB, established for almost 2 years, with just two clown fish and some CUC. Clown fish shows zero interest in the goby.

I am very concerned about him and the potential disease. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards
D

IMG_20210614_093238.jpg IMG_20210614_095226.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That looks too large to be ich and in the wrong location and too smooth to be lymphocystis. It could be a xenoma from a microsporidian infection. There is no treatment for that, just supportive care through could feeding and water quality. It may also be an inconsequential nodule from mucus or a minor injury. In any event, just watch for the development of new nodules.
Jay

OP
OP
D

Deisler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

@Jay Hemdal

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for my late reply.

I have been watching it for the last few days. There have been, in total, 2 spots, one on the 'nose' area and another one on its side. Both initially had a white solid core, surrounded by clear stuff. Both seem to take a regular shape, one spherical (on the nose) and one a bit elongated.

It seems to accept more and more food everyday. It has eaten live copopds, frozen brine and 'marine mix'. Although sometimes (when the light is on) he still swims around the tank, he spent most time on the candy cane branch.

Today I checked those two spots. The white core has disappeared, leaving the entire bump transparent. The size of the nodule has not reduced though. Apart from those two, no new nodules can be seen in the last four days.

I guess now I can safely say it is definitely not ich or lymphocystis?

If this is not ich or lymphocystis, the only thing I did (rather stupidly) was that, when I fed him with live copepods, I did not warm the copepods water. So I fed him with 4 degree C water on the first day, then the nodules appeared on the next day. I only did that once, so it could be the 'tissue damage' due to cold water spot-fed to him?

Cheers,
D

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

@Jay Hemdal

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for my late reply.

I have been watching it for the last few days. There have been, in total, 2 spots, one on the 'nose' area and another one on its side. Both initially had a white solid core, surrounded by clear stuff. Both seem to take a regular shape, one spherical (on the nose) and one a bit elongated.

It seems to accept more and more food everyday. It has eaten live copopds, frozen brine and 'marine mix'. Although sometimes (when the light is on) he still swims around the tank, he spent most time on the candy cane branch.

Today I checked those two spots. The white core has disappeared, leaving the entire bump transparent. The size of the nodule has not reduced though. Apart from those two, no new nodules can be seen in the last four days.

I guess now I can safely say it is definitely not ich or lymphocystis?

If this is not ich or lymphocystis, the only thing I did (rather stupidly) was that, when I fed him with live copepods, I did not warm the copepods water. So I fed him with 4 degree C water on the first day, then the nodules appeared on the next day. I only did that once, so it could be the 'tissue damage' due to cold water spot-fed to him?

Cheers,
D
I would say that confirms it is not ich or Lymphocystis. I do not think that cold water would have cause this.

Jay

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back