WHAT is THIS?

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily @HotRocks @Humblefish

So few days ago I posted asking what would cause one hill, only on one fish to be swollen and red. No ammonia burn, and post meds. Noticed on third week of observation.

Well, I think we found out what it was. Noticed fish crooked while I was working on another tank. Pulled it out, put in FW dip, and tada. what the heck is this lol? Going on over 10 minutes in rodi and still kicking.

To Note:

I did fw dip for 5 minutes on this fish three days ago, and nothing showed.

20191017_201748.jpg 20191017_201537.jpg 20191017_201559.jpg

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link won't work. What is treatment method? This fish was with others, in a QT

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this make it through copper, and prazi? And honestly hadn't noticed any signs at all. Until red gill this week. I've had the fish in qt(start of copper) since Aug 19. Brutal

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish have never been near coral. One QT to another. All my coral go for 76 days in fish less tank, before display.

But as far as far as this fish, and other it was with. I see no other signs. Two of these critters came off dead fish.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @4FordFamily @HotRocks

What's is my course of action? Two came off. One large (in photo) and one about half the size.

I read the articles. I'm assuming there is no chemical treatment to positively eradicate these? Or is there?

I was up with a flash light looking for any others, or signs when lights were out and I saw nothing. As articles suggested to do.

Is my best bet 4 weeks of observation, and I'm good after that if no other signs?

Please help

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup your best bet is watching and waiting...these guys aren't too shy about coming out.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things are hard to kill. Trichlorfon (0.2 ppm for 24 h or 3.2 ppm for 60 min) is the most effective treatment.

Copper, formalin and H2O2 also has a killing effect; but some of the larvae survived unless exposed to a really high concentration for a long duration.

More reading: https://www.researchgate.net/public...e_Parasitic_Isopod_Caecognathia_coralliophila

Can you help me understand. How does Larvia get into/on fish?

What is life cycle from Larvia to hatch?

I'm just so baffled as to how I didnt notice. As I always observed my quarantine tanks daily.

If I see no affects on fish after one month, am I considered 100 percent good to go into display?

I'm going to nuke qt tanks, they have been in, and throw fish in a 13.5 for closer observation. And to sterile other tanks.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're more like insects than true crustaceans in my estimation. The female basically has a pouch where the eggs hatch, and develop from larvae into small juveniles. I don't believe the animal becomes free-living until it has reached the juvenile stage.

Parasitic isopods usually harbor inside the gills or some other "opening" out of sight. There's even a tongue eating isopod: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tongue-eating-isopod.208068/

I'm curious, was this fish ever in copper for a prolonged period of time? I would think a week or two in therapeutic copper would at least kill the isopods themselves.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're more like insects than true crustaceans in my estimation. The female basically has a pouch where the eggs hatch, and develop from larvae into small juveniles. I don't believe the animal becomes free-living until it has reached the juvenile stage.

Parasitic isopods usually harbor inside the gills or some other "opening" out of sight. There's even a tongue eating isopod: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tongue-eating-isopod.208068/

I'm curious, was this fish ever in copper for a prolonged period of time? I would think a week or two in therapeutic copper would at least kill the isopods themselves.
I follow strict protocol, exactly as you and @HotRocks say. I do 14 days therapeutic copper(test every day, Hanna checker). Then I transfer into new sterile qt tank. Which is more than 10' away from the first. I then continue to treat two rounds of prazipro. During that whole time, I feed GC/focus soaked mysis.

After which I observe. Fish purchased aug 20th. 14 days of therapeutic copper finished sep 6th. 2 Prazipro rounds finished sep 20th.

Since sep 20th I have just been observing, until few days ago, I made that post about the single swollen gill, which i thought was quite odd(which I tagged you in).

Is there a known life cycle? Form hatch to juvenile, to wear I'd actually notice another, if there were

I guess we know why now. Pretty happy I never transferred into my display.

-photo below is three days prior to death. When I did freshwater dip. Which they never showed their ugly face.

20191014_114236.jpg

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just wondering if we, the hobbyist are promoting the growth of medication resistant pests. By trying to do our best to promote the health of fish and corals are we in fact creating an issue?

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just wondering if we, the hobbyist are promoting the growth of medication resistant pests. By trying to do our best to promote the health of fish and corals are we in fact creating an issue?
I may have to agree. The fish was eating/swimming all completely normal, up until about a week ago.

This specific fish order was in store for about ten days, prior to me picking up some fish.

I am just so thankful this was caught, and I didnt put into my display, geez

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fascinating (to me) that a crustacean can survive 14 days in copper. And a freshwater dip. Possibly they are protected by their exoskeleton because there are anecdotal reports of shrimp surviving when someone doses copper into their DT.

I've been doing research lately on "prazi resistant flukes", and in at least some cases it appears monogeneans "shield" themselves from medications by sheltering under a fish's scales. Whether this is done purposely or they just happen to be in the right place at the right time, I do not know. But I wonder if an isopod might develop a similar strategy to avoid contact with chemicals that would otherwise kill it.

And unfortunately, I do not know the life cycle of parasitic isopods. I will have to look that one up.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fascinating (to me) that a crustacean can survive 14 days in copper. And a freshwater dip. Possibly they are protected by their exoskeleton because there are anecdotal reports of shrimp surviving when someone doses copper into their DT.

I've been doing research lately on "prazi resistant flukes", and in at least some cases it appears monogeneans "shield" themselves from medications by sheltering under a fish's scales. Whether this is done purposely or they just happen to be in the right place at the right time, I do not know. But I wonder if an isopod might develop a similar strategy to avoid contact with chemicals that would otherwise kill it.

And unfortunately, I do not know the life cycle of parasitic isopods. I will have to look that one up.
Ok, if you find anything let me know, I appreciated your wisdom.

And that is quite fascinating/scary how they can shelter under scales lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back