What is this?

Zoran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys came on my leather coral rock and they seems to be okay but now i notice they are starting to pop up around the tank. They don’t seem to multiply fast tho

anyone know what it is and is it good or bad?

83A2CA0B-3751-4687-95B7-F4B9CD9085FE.jpeg 05F359A3-73AF-4655-9271-96CB9CDD2510.jpeg

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys came on my leather coral rock and they seems to be okay but now i notice they are starting to pop up around the tank. They don’t seem to multiply fast tho

anyone know what it is and is it good or bad?

83A2CA0B-3751-4687-95B7-F4B9CD9085FE.jpeg 05F359A3-73AF-4655-9271-96CB9CDD2510.jpeg
Those appear to be zoanthids or palythoas. That’s cool you got some hitchhikers just kinda poppin up! It’s a coral I see a lot and I keep tons of in the hobby. Do a quick Google or thread search you’ll find some cool stuff lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They're Manjano anemones. Some people like them and some panic as they are similar to aptasia but have nice colors.
These tiny green anemones seem so innocent. You have four just for their color, not knowing these were Anemonia Manjanos, which quickly split and make more of themselves and spread. Soon you can have 40 of these guys in my tank. They are attracted to light, and will climb the rockwork to get to the top. Their sting is damaging to corals, and eat up 'real estate' other corals could use. This is definitely a pest anemone, and using a syringe with boiling water or lemon juice injected into their center core will rid of them.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those appear to be zoanthids or palythoas. That’s cool you got some hitchhikers just kinda poppin up! It’s a coral I see a lot and I keep tons of in the hobby. Do a quick Google or thread search you’ll find some cool stuff lol
They're Manjano anemones. Some people like them and some panic as they are similar to aptasia but have nice colors.
These tiny green anemones seem so innocent. You have four just for their color, not knowing these were Anemonia Manjanos, which quickly split and make more of themselves and spread. Soon you can have 40 of these guys in my tank. They are attracted to light, and will climb the rockwork to get to the top. Their sting is damaging to corals, and eat up 'real estate' other corals could use. This is definitely a pest anemone, and using a syringe with boiling water or lemon juice injected into their center core will rid of them.
Nvm I guess they are anemones lol

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @vetteguy53081. Looks like mojanos. I put a couple of matted file fish into my 125 for aptaisia, and they made quick work of the mojanos before they even considered the aptaisia. A word of caution though. some may pick at your softies and LPS. Mine don't seem to, but I may just be lucky.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back