What is this?

nzkiwi80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it GHA, byprosis or some other turf algae?

Photos taken just after RowaPhos treatment

unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg unnamed (4).jpg unnamed (5).jpg unnamed.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
it’s flagellates and callithrix
You will need to gently blow loose with turkey baster and scrub with a toothbrush and siphon it all up.
Add 1.5ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons daily for two weeks and 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons at night. Turn off white lights for a week and then add astrea, trochus and nerite snails plus pin cushion urchin.

OP
OP
N

nzkiwi80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liquid bacteria per

How sure are you that it's flagellates and callithrix? I've always been told GHA

It's really stuck so gently blowing loose with turkey baster will do almost nothing.

I can however scrub with a toothbrush and siphon it all up, although that probably won't loosen much of it at all.

As for "Add 1.5ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons daily for two weeks." Is this Vibrant or something else? what's a common liquid bacteria so I can see whats available in New Zealand.

I've added hydrogen peroxide before and it's worked. Is the 1ml of per 10 gallons at night every night?.

As for this, "Turn off white lights for a week" does this mean I can keep, green, blue red etc?

Finally I'll have see if I can get any astrea, trochus, nerite snails and a pin cushion urchin.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How sure are you that it's flagellates and callithrix? I've always been told GHA

It's really stuck so gently blowing loose with turkey baster will do almost nothing.

I can however scrub with a toothbrush and siphon it all up, although that probably won't loosen much of it at all.

As for "Add 1.5ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons daily for two weeks." Is this Vibrant or something else? what's a common liquid bacteria so I can see whats available in New Zealand.

I've added hydrogen peroxide before and it's worked. Is the 1ml of per 10 gallons at night every night?.

As for this, "Turn off white lights for a week" does this mean I can keep, green, blue red etc?

Finally I'll have see if I can get any astrea, trochus, nerite snails and a pin cushion urchin.
Although I do see some GHA , there is a presence of flagellates as pictured below. I said Callothrix. I meant Lyngbia which as in your case is reddish brown abd is a type of cyanobacteria. Even though it looks just like hair algae and is filamentous rather than slimy. It dislodges easily from the rock, has no discernible root or mat structure and grows fast. Lyngbya species seem to grow very fast in warmer tanks, and spread quickly once attached to a powerhead, suggesting they can replicate by fragmentation easily. Nevertheless aggressive manual removal over time can be effective.
Nerite snails, Cerith snails and Chitons love this stuff but cant eat it fast enough.,

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back