What is this

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend told me I had flatworms on my coral is this true he circled the area I was told this is a ultra rainbow hammer he circled them in the pic

8123469D-3C98-4368-9435-8EC403E98B4C.jpeg

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend told me I had flatworms on my coral is this true he circled the area I was told this is a ultra rainbow hammer he circled them in the pic

8123469D-3C98-4368-9435-8EC403E98B4C.jpeg
Yes, likely flatworms. I’ve had these on various euphyllia before and they’re usually harmless in my experience. You can go the flatworm exit route, but you’ll need several weekly treatments to make sure you get the eggs that hatch

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do they look never seen them before I’ve done sonecreaerch some say wrasses eat them is this true

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could just be how late it is but I’m not seeing anything besides hammer tentacles
I wish I couldn’t see them. I’m scarred after beating them, then reintroducing them years later. I spaced it. I got a coral from a friend I gave my old livestock too and forgot to dip the coral before giving it the old plop n drop.
If you saturate the photo, they really stand out
D4B869BD-BC3E-4B71-A6A2-2C5F4A5CCCBE.jpeg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dam so what do I do now
Theyre not just on the coral they are on the substrate too. They are part photosynthetic so you can’t starve them. I broke my tank down and dumped every thing but fleshy coral. I dipped coral in bayer to kill them. I’ve never tried flatworm exit. I never had luck with wrasses eating them. Now I just live with them….sucks

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dam so what do I do now
Here is a Reef Builders article and a video that you should watch for this problem. It is crazy how may flatworms come off of the coral that you can't even see.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd dip if the coral can be easily removed.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had red planaria in my tank for a long time now and I've never noticed them on my corals (at least to that extent), I mostly see them on my glass. The good news is that if it is red planaria as far as I know they don't eat corals, other than potentially growing to huge numbers and being an eye sore they don't really hurt too much.
Either my melanarus wrasse or target mandarin eat them. I'm not sure which because I got the fish around the same time when I quit seeing flatworms in my display. My fuge is full of them still.

I've never used flatworm exit but I did look into it and the problem is when they die they release toxin. So all of the flatworms dieing at once can potentially kill the tank. There are certain steps that you would need to follow like siphoning out as many as you can for a week or so before using flatworm exit. Then when you use it be prepared to do a huge water change. I'm also not sure how kz flat worm stop compares to flatworm exit.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive read flatworm exit doers kill them on the spot but you need to siphon as many as you can before you use it and then after siphon more and yes do a huge water change not sure if i want to take that chance and nuke my tank as far as kz flatworm they state it needs to be dosed everyday so really dont know might get a six line wrasse but scared my banna wrasse might kill him wont blowing the corals make it worse as they will be all over the place?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back