What is this???

diamondreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just noticed these very tiny specs of red algae (I’m assuming) and I’m not sure what kind it is. Hoping to treat it sooner than later.

I know it’s hard to see :/ they are tiny.. I inspect the tank daily to try and catch problems super early lol

0F5A43CA-9495-46B8-AF4A-1AF5849D8241.jpeg AD558BA4-4A24-4C22-AB0B-D28D09DD87FA.jpeg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can blow it off of the rocks I would call it bad. If it won't blow off or shows no sign of movement I would call that good. Like the previous post stated, it is hard to tell in the photos.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does blow off :/
Prob cyanobacteria then. The plus is that it does appear very thin. So not a lot to deal with. This could be nutrient or flow related. Most likely both. At least you are on it and catching this early.

OP
OP
diamondreef

diamondreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prob cyanobacteria then. The plus is that it does appear very thin. So not a lot to deal with. This could be nutrient or flow related. Most likely both. At least you are on it and catching this early.
What’s the best way to treat it you think? I’m going to have my water tested tomorrow so hopefully that tells me something..

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best way to treat it you think? I’m going to have my water tested tomorrow so hopefully that tells me something..
Well, since you state that you just noticed it, I would actually leave it alone. Test your water. Hopefully you have some previous test results to compare your new results with. If you notice some large variances then address those whether high or low. Then I would assess you flow inside the display. Possibly increase the flow if feasible. All of this should be done over a period of months to perceive the results.

Back