C464417B-2A49-4AE8-A9DB-C519E8CC7305.jpeg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd the bubble algae.
Some use emerald crabs or hand pick if only a few.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is this new Zoa’s or Bubble Algea???

C464417B-2A49-4AE8-A9DB-C519E8CC7305.jpeg
Valonia bubble algae and instead of adding a crab for 9 little bubbles, keep it simple and have some fun . . . . . .
Take a small needle and have 3/8 tubing ready and attach to end of tubing with rubber band and pop each one and siphon at same time- You will have removed all spores and foreign material in area.
Had to do this in the past with birds nest coral and was gone 100%.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes and DO NOT pop it in the tank. Get that out of the tank and try to remove without popping. If it pops rinse it real good with tank water or RO (again NOT in the tank) that stuff spreads like crazy
STOP SPREADING THIS MIS-INFORMATION!!!

You can pop bubble algae in the tank -- it DOES NOT make it spread!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubbles are pretty sturdy, easy to twist off.
I agree with erin, and i'm sure the crabs don't swallow them whole.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STOP SPREADING THIS MIS-INFORMATION!!!

You can pop bubble algae in the tank -- it DOES NOT make it spread!
tell that to my tanks.....and the ones at my lfs.......and algae barn https://www.algaebarn.com/blog/other/bubble-algae-how-bad-is-it/ "Inside the cytoplasm-filled bubble are copious free-floating, individual nuclei, each capable of growing into a new bubble. Thus, bursting them can hardly be considered a reasonable method of control; doing so releases hundreds or even thousands of new recruits into the water column."

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small bubbles not sexually mature enough to harbor fertile spores.
Heres your rabbit hole of info...

OP
OP
R

RP1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small bubbles not sexually mature enough to harbor fertile spores.
Heres your rabbit hole of info...
Thanks!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tell that to my tanks.....and the ones at my lfs.......and algae barn https://www.algaebarn.com/blog/other/bubble-algae-how-bad-is-it/ "Inside the cytoplasm-filled bubble are copious free-floating, individual nuclei, each capable of growing into a new bubble. Thus, bursting them can hardly be considered a reasonable method of control; doing so releases hundreds or even thousands of new recruits into the water column."
So how exactly do emerald crabs pop and eat the bubble algae without it spreading??

(THE FACT THAT OTHERS HAVE REPEATED FALSE INFO DOESN'T MAKE IT TRUE!)

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how exactly do emerald crabs pop and eat the bubble algae without it spreading??

(THE FACT THAT OTHERS HAVE REPEATED FALSE INFO DOESN'T MAKE IT TRUE!)
not saying them popping it doesn't spread it. In fact, as I quoted it is a single cell creature with all of that free floating nuclei inside to spread does greatly increase the chance of it spreading. So just because a bunch of hobbyists in a R2R thread say that popping it does not spread it, does not therefore make their assumptions true either.
The crabs suck most of the juice in so one could surmise that the volume of nuclei in the water column once they chew it to suck it in is significantly lower then when the aquarist pops it. Experiments would need to be conducted in a controlled environment to measure that of course.
However, the thread you sited has some information in it mostly from a bunch of aquarists with their own theories based on their own limited experience. Mr. Cortes-Jorge JR has a nice article there with numerous dated citations from the 90's and before. No mention of modern treatments of course. Yet even in that article "Physical removal of aggressively-spreading bubble algae is recommended, taking care not to rupture any spore-bearing vesicles, nor leave algal debris behind. "
I would challenge that newer data and research may not come to the same conclusions, or it may, but I have not seen any other related articles citing anything newer.
The scientists at Algae Barn actually have a background in this stuff and study it. https://www.algaebarn.com/about-us/our-team/ so please forgive my putting a bit more faith in their answer and analysis than that of a bunch of hobbyists in a thread here. No disrespect to all of that experience of the hobbyists of course as their observations and experiences are valid, just not scientific. Every scientist referenced in any article I can find says not to pop it and to physically remove it, so yeah, that seems to be more scientifically real and since they say repeat true info, I guess that makes it True!.

Last edited:

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes and DO NOT pop it in the tank. Get that out of the tank and try to remove without popping. If it pops rinse it real good with tank water or RO (again NOT in the tank) that stuff spreads like crazy
You can pop them, its just fluid. No worse than moving them to get them out.

I have some in my fuge that was kind of pretty, i pop them all the time and they haven't sprad.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back