What is this?

Mary Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I added a bottle of copepods two days ago and I always like to take my magnifying glass (20X-12mm) to look at them. This time, I found these… can someone tell me if these are female copepods with eggs? They look really big to be that, if you have any idea of what this is, let me know!!
The tank is a 5 year old 29 g biocube.

1D65C9A3-4BFE-4105-B680-92BADBF1409E.jpeg 539AAD35-BDF7-4481-B254-A730283ABDB6.jpeg

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also! I just remember seeing some of my nassarius snails taking a walk on the front glass!
I guess it depends on what you actually have in your tank. Nassarius vibex - The small ones generally desired in the hobby only eat dead stuff or extra food ... carrion essentially. Successfully breeding these in captivity has eluded even the most experienced aqua farmers so the chances they will reproduce and join the rest of your clean up crew is extremely unlikely.

There are other snails that look a lot like n. vibex that eat algae, and some of these can reproduce successfully but aren't going to actually be nassarius.

Regardless of the theoretical survivability, most eggs, hatchlings, etc very quickly become a meal for the other tank inhabitants.

(If your "nassarius-looking" snails are regularly on the glass or if they climb on the rockscape at all, they are not the kind you want in your tank.)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back