What is this?

iamdon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this today under my hammer and live rock. Does anyone know what it is?
20230330_214335.jpg
20230330_214319.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a sponge to me.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that mean I might be able to get a nudibranch?
No - nudibranchs only eat very, very specific sponges, and which specific sponges those are vary from one nudibranch species to another. So, you would have to happen to have the right kind of sponge and the right kind of nudibranch, and you would need to have a ton of those sponges to keep the nudibranch fed long term.

Berghia nudibranchs are the only nudibranchs typically kept in our aquariums because they eat "Aiptasia" ("pest anemones") which are generally plentifully abundant in our aquariums, so they're the only ones we can typically keep properly fed for a decent length of time.

OP
OP
I

iamdon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - nudibranchs only eat very, very specific sponges, and which specific sponges those are vary from one nudibranch species to another. So, you would have to happen to have the right kind of sponge and the right kind of nudibranch, and you would need to have a ton of those sponges to keep the nudibranch fed long term.

Berghia nudibranchs are the only nudibranchs typically kept in our aquariums because they eat "Aiptasia" ("pest anemones") which are generally plentifully abundant in our aquariums, so they're the only ones we can typically keep properly fed for a decent length of time.
dang guess I'll have one in the next life :(

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang guess I'll have one in the next life :(
You could try some sacoglossan slugs (often misleadingly called lettuce nudibranchs); Elysia spp. can be purchased from a number of places online, and - while not as large or striking as many nudibranchs - you can keep them (and even breed many of them) long term in properly prepared aquaria. They do still have specific needs though.
I thought only certain types of nudi has poison
Many nudibranchs are poisonous, but what they're actually dangerous to and how dangerous their poison is varies greatly.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back