Ecotech Marine

Aluco

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So I've had a 20g qt running for 25 days. I'm constantly doing water changes because it seems the hob filter does nothing. I constantly have waste just sitting at the bottom of the tank and I don't over feed imo twice a day small amounts. And i bought an oversized hob for this sized tank and makes no difference.. do I need to place a powerhead to get it to move around to be sucked up by hob? Here is a picture just 1 day after water change and I vacuum up the bottom every time..

20220817_142716.jpg

Jim Gomoll

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I run two on my 75g, works fine. Any HOB or sump set up will only clean water from the water column. As already noted you need to get the water circulating. Add a wave or power head will help. Even with one you will still have some kind of settling on bottom. Suck it up when you do water changes.

Upvote 0

h20cyclone

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
They are fine for a little surface movement in a small tank, but I can't say I've ever had them really help with water quality all that much. More flow across the bottom should help with the stuff settling on the bottom of the tank.

Upvote 0

Dan_P

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So I've had a 20g qt running for 25 days. I'm constantly doing water changes because it seems the hob filter does nothing. I constantly have waste just sitting at the bottom of the tank and I don't over feed imo twice a day small amounts. And i bought an oversized hob for this sized tank and makes no difference.. do I need to place a powerhead to get it to move around to be sucked up by hob? Here is a picture just 1 day after water change and I vacuum up the bottom every time..

20220817_142716.jpg
Probably nothing to worry about. Some of what you see a bacteria growth, a biofilm.

Upvote 0
OP
A

Aluco

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Probably nothing to worry about. Some of what you see a bacteria growth, a biofilm.
Yea just today I had to scrub off the pvc because it had slimy brown stuff on it. I've just had a very difficult time getting nitrites down in this tank and thought that may help. I mean at least the fish are healthy

Upvote 0
AI Nero 5

Is there such a thing as an "easy" acro?

• YES (tell us about it in the thread)

Votes: 82 44.1%
  • NO

Votes: 43 23.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 1.1%
NY