What is variance on the AI Nero pumps?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 neros - a 5 and a 3 - and in the random wave mode, there is a setting called variance.

The app says variance simulates a high or low energy reef, but idk what that means really. If my min power was 10% and max power 50% — what would the difference be between none, medium, high variance? Would the pump still be Random but favor values on the higher range?

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 neros - a 5 and a 3 - and in the random wave mode, there is a setting called variance.

The app says variance simulates a high or low energy reef, but idk what that means really. If my min power was 10% and max power 50% — what would the difference be between none, medium, high variance? Would the pump still be Random but favor values on the higher range?
Not sure as I don't run the variance mode either I'm going to be watching this post to find out though is I have a AI nero 05... hope some 1 knows... awsome powerful little power head super low profile.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping it meant that higher variance would change its percentage more frequently with a wider range than lower variance. I wouldn’t understand why it would favor the high or low if we are setting our desired percentages anyways.

But I think you are right. I think it just stays in the higher end of your percentages or lower end depending on what variance you choose.

I wasn’t sure so I just kept mine in the wave mode but set the child at 160 degrees to try and make the waves hit randomly.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was hoping it meant that higher variance would change its percentage more frequently with a wider range than lower variance. I wouldn’t understand why it would favor the high or low if we are setting our desired percentages anyways.

But I think you are right. I think it just stays in the higher end of your percentages or lower end depending on what variance you choose.

I wasn’t sure so I just kept mine in the wave mode but set the child at 160 degrees to try and make the waves hit randomly.
I thought it would mean the variance would be more rapid like you said where it would change the value more frequently but there is a “none” option which has me confused? My guess Is “none” is complete randomness then?

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I assumed it meant a higher variance in change also but no idea

I do love the pump but is a little loud in the upper percentages of power, I’m wondering if you all are getting that too?

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am away from my tank right now so I can’t bring up the flow, but doesn’t that program make you select the max and min flow % and then the variance of low to max. My understanding is that low mean it makes less flow changes between your min and max. The high variance would be more like a rapid roller coaster between your min and max with likely more rapid shifts.
That’s just what I interpreted and when I was playing with them that’s what I thought I was seeing. I watched the flow meter as well so I could see the variance change

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do love the pump but is a little loud in the upper percentages of power, I’m wondering if you all are getting that too?

Mine is pretty darn silent running at 90%.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Mine is silent too but then again I only run at like 20% max lol

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I am away from my tank right now so I can’t bring up the flow, but doesn’t that program make you select the max and min flow % and then the variance of low to max. My understanding is that low mean it makes less flow changes between your min and max. The high variance would be more like a rapid roller coaster between your min and max with likely more rapid shifts.
That’s just what I interpreted and when I was playing with them that’s what I thought I was seeing. I watched the flow meter as well so I could see the variance change
I thought that too but the controller has a “none” setting for variance which I don’t really get? Is there an AI person on this forum we could @ and ask? Lol

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No noise issues with mine at 100%

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just an update: I emailed AI and asked what the heck variance was -- this was their response

The variance setting controls the amount of flow fluctuation between your min and max flow settings that you have chosen for a particular mode setting. This will determine how fast the pump alternates from your preset 4% flow up to the max 20% flow and vice versa.

So it sounds like it is used to determine how quickly the flow changes? Lower variance, less changes -- higher variance, more rapid changes? I am still not sure what the "none" mode does though

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update: I emailed AI and asked what the heck variance was -- this was their response

So it sounds like it is used to determine how quickly the flow changes? Lower variance, less changes -- higher variance, more rapid changes? I am still not sure what the "none" mode does though
Yea none makes no sense

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea none makes no sense
ahh you know what -- maybe none is a smooth wave? Like 1sec/1% (so to go from 4%min to 50%/max it would take 46seconds and then another 46 seconds to go from 50% back down to 4%?) So maybe "none" makes it a sine wave?

The the variance makes it more jumpy as it goes between the min/max range and still a 'sine' wave but it is not a smooth transition, it is more random and jumpy?

obzidian_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
none1
/nən/

pronoun
  1. not any.
    "none of you want to work"

adverb
  1. by no amount; not at all.
    "it is made none the easier by the differences in approach"

You're welcome

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t quantify it but I imagine it means how often and how significant the changes will be. Low variance means infrequent and smaller changes in power whereas high means frequent and drastic changes in power

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From playing with it. The flow changes once per minute it seems. Variance is how much it changes after that minute as a function of percent it is a instant change with no smoothing. Lower variance it changes like 5-10 percent every minute. Higher can be near 0-75 percent I have no idea how none comes into play as the min/max would no longer make sense. Unless it just changes in small increments up to max and then back down.

It does seem that even with variance it is being pulled one direction or the other. Perhaps every minute it is moving a set point using a sin function from min to max and back to min and variance is how far from that set point it is allowed to go. I have yet to see it go from 0 make it to 50 percent of allowed and then go back to 0 with low variance it may wiggle up and down but the tend is always to max then back.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can’t quantify it but I imagine it means how often and how significant the changes will be. Low variance means infrequent and smaller changes in power whereas high means frequent and drastic changes in power
From playing with it. The flow changes once per minute it seems. Variance is how much it changes after that minute as a function of percent. Lower variance it changes like 5-10 percent every minute. Higher can be near 0-75 percent I have no idea how none comes into play as the money/max would no longer make sense.

yeah I’ve played around with it. Seems like Hight variance is a change every 60 (or 30 I forget but it was one of those two) seconds and low is just a longer interval before the change. No idea how “none” impacts it. I thought it would be a sine wave and just do a continuous like 1% +/- per second smooth but doesn’t appear to be the case. I emailed AI and their response wasn’t helpful lol

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back