What is worst fish that gets sick quick!

holdyourlight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you treat ALL incoming fish with prazipro and something for ich/velvet/whatever (hyposalinity, cupramine, quinine sulfate) then there is little to worry about

Ich is only in a tank if you put it there

mobatic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine ich has a life cycle, that's why if you QT your fish in a tank with no sand.
Their life cycle dies as your QT process exceeds 4-5 weeks.

If you have sand, then you're in for a treat, eggs galore.

Ich is always in your system, as there's multiple parasites to worry about.
QT is the best policy.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pinneatus Batfish hands down, even the tank raised ones break out in ich. The wild ones not only break out in ich but are hard to get eating. I have 2 tank raised ones coming in today actually.

SuperStock_1606-29202.jpg

thats one of the sweetest batfish i have ever seen!

OP
OP
D

danielbui23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you treat ALL incoming fish with prazipro and something for ich/velvet/whatever (hyposalinity, cupramine, quinine sulfate) then there is little to worry about

Ich is only in a tank if you put it there

Great advise on the type of meds! Agreed also on having a sand less and rock less QT tank.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually there are new studies suggesting ich can lay dormant in a fishless marine tank for up to ten months and possibly longer. The best medicine for treating ich is copper, everything else MIGHT work(except hyposalinity).

The only fish I have ever had die of ich was a coral beauty angel that I for from petco on my way home from the coast. It was fine at the store but when I started floating it it had already started showing signs and by the next day it was covered in cists. It died a week later. It was a two hour drive from petco to my house, and my cat was beating at the bag like it thought it was getting a fresh meal so who knows what happened.

And I have a powder blue and a yellow belly regal tang that are considered ich magnets by many. *now excuse me while I go find some wood to knock on*

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

danielbui23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well except for copper sensitive fish, which there are a few. I heard lionfish are sensitive to copper.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My powder blue would get ich off and on for almost a year, no lie. He would get better then worse, better, then worse, he always ate like a pig though. After a year went by like that he finally never got it again. I have had him almost 5 years now and he is king of the tank. I never though he would make it, but now he is my favorite fish.

That's good to hear there's hope nick! So there's no secret? Just feed and ride it out?

SaltWaterDave

NEPA Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the worst fish for me has been the Mandarin Dragonet. I've tried 4 over the past 2.5 yrs and they've all died.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear there's hope nick! So there's no secret? Just feed and ride it out?

Yeah, feed a mix if veggies and carnivore diet. Also, try to avoid giving it the stink-eye to much. Both tanks that I have seen inperson who have ha large healthy powder blues and other ich prone fish had uv sterilizers, so I have one too. Maybe it helps maybe it doesn't, but my powder blue is healthy ;)

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local pet store (no fish stuff, just dog and cat) has a 180 display and they have had a PBT for about 1.5-2 yrs and it is heathly and beautiful. Not sure what their secret is as they don't seem TOO experienced. They only have mushrooms and a couple leathers and don't mess with the tank too much. I have asked them about it and they seem oblivious to the fact that it is even a tricky fish.

holdyourlight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a link to these studies, i would be very interested to see this. Did you mean 10 weeks?

Actually there are new studies suggesting ich can lay dormant in a fishless marine tank for up to ten months and possibly longer. The best medicine for treating ich is copper, everything else MIGHT work(except hyposalinity).

The only fish I have ever had die of ich was a coral beauty angel that I for from petco on my way home from the coast. It was fine at the store but when I started floating it it had already started showing signs and by the next day it was covered in cists. It died a week later. It was a two hour drive from petco to my house, and my cat was beating at the bag like it thought it was getting a fresh meal so who knows what happened.

And I have a powder blue and a yellow belly regal tang that are considered ich magnets by many. *now excuse me while I go find some wood to knock on*

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting reading. I have always loved that batfish when I would see it in a LFS. You need a tall tank for them. I have had 2 powder blue tangs a different times and had no issues with either. I had one fpr 3 years and the other for more than 5. I have had nothing but bad luch with the Powder Brown Tang. I will second the Copperband Butterfly.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a link to these studies, i would be very interested to see this. Did you mean 10 weeks?

I think it was in some journal articles I read while I was supposed to be doing some materials research, which I cannot post a link to unless you have access to the journal article database...I will double check this weekend and see what I can do as far as posting a link.

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely the powder blue tang.....and the yellow tang. My fish were staying sick from one thing, then another. I installed a UV sterilizer and MAGIC....no more sick fish!

Onedesign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through a bout of ich about 4 months ago and lost a number of newer fish. I do not know which one started it but my 'older' fish fought it and made it. I lost a Square Anthias, Flame Angel, Powder Brown, watchman goby among others. The survivors include my sailfin tang whom I've had for almost 3 years..he's king of the tank and has even been known to break up fights when someones picking on another.....funny to watch. He was covered nose to tail bad but he pulled through and ate throughout. My Black Onyx Clowns got it and survived as well. My coral beauty never exhibited any sign nor did my 6-line.

Still not sure who brought it in but I like all those fish I lost. i do want to try another Powder Brown and if I do I will probably put him in my frag tank for a few months just so if he gets it theres nobody to contaminate

I was not running UV at the time. In the past I've run UV in other tanks so now I put it on my current tank. Who knows if it helps but it makes me feel better :)

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will agree with everyone as far as the Powder Blue Tang. I had mine for about 2-3 months before he got ich so bad he died..

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems weird based on all I've read on forums, etc., but I have had the worst luck of all with Rabbitfish. I have had 4 croak on me after looking as healthy as a race horse for several weeks ??????

Quinn123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sur powder blue, clown trigger and flame wrasse, i had a pair of flame wrasse, eating like a pig, all of th sudden just stop eating and die, i stop about the third one, because they r just so expensive

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back