What is wrong with my female Clarkii?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Clakii's for a few months and they were doing very well in my 40B, but I moved them into a 120 this weekend. Almost immediately, my female started to swim erratically and has not improved. It almost seems like she can't control her swimming. She swims in circles, even flipping upside down often. She is alert, active, and does her best to eat, usually getting several pieces of food. What could cause this and is there anything I can do to help her recover?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird, I've never seen that before, she seems attracted to the anemone's mouth for some reason, and then she spins.

Both seem to be breathing a bit fast, it may just be activity, looks like the male was eating some food, but you should still watch that.

Could she have gotten clunked in the head with the net frame during capture? This sure seems neurological....

Jay

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, I had just fed the tank, so the male was pretty excited. He seems to be doing well. I don't use nets to catch or transfer most fish. I used a specimen container (like the ones the LFS uses). It was a very calm and easy transfer. The male was another story. I have noticed some discoloration on the stripe on the top of her head, possibly from some sort of trauma? Instead of a white stripe it is slightly purple and almost a little translucent.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, I had just fed the tank, so the male was pretty excited. He seems to be doing well. I don't use nets to catch or transfer most fish. I used a specimen container (like the ones the LFS uses). It was a very calm and easy transfer. The male was another story. I have noticed some discoloration on the stripe on the top of her head, possibly from some sort of trauma? Instead of a white stripe it is slightly purple and almost a little translucent.
Well, sorry, I don't have anything else. Clownfish sometimes show odd stereotypic behaviors, but I don't think this is that either....

Jay

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back