What is wrong with my tank and how can I fix it?

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have been fighting this algae for the good part of almost a year. It has wiped out my SPS and has made my tank look horrible. I have been fighting dinos for the good part of 6-8 months but I think this new algae is something completely different. I have attached some pictures of what the tank looks like and also some bubble like algae that has hardened. Also my nitrate and phosphate parameters. My salinity, calcium, alkalinity are all normal.

How can I fix this issue and what type of algae could this be?

IMG_5683.jpg IMG_5685.jpg IMG_5687.jpg IMG_5686.jpg IMG_5689.jpg IMG_5691.jpg IMG_5693.jpg IMG_5694.jpg IMG_5695.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like dying GHA and bubble algae. First, pull as much as you can by hand. A root system, will suggest bryopsis. If you see fern like appearance with roots, you MUST remove roots or this stuff will come back. A dental pick or small crochet needle will take roots off easily. Afterwards . . . .
Unfortunately, you will have to remove rock into a separate container with tank water and peroxide and scrub with a firm toothbrush or similar to properly clean it. Afterwards, you can add cleaners such as Ninja star snails, margarita snails, pitho crabs, chiton snails, trochus snails and pencil urchin AND reduce white light intensity and hours of white light.
For bubble algae twist the bubbles and pull off or add a couple of female emerald crabs.

Last edited:

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be fooled by everyone who is going to tell you it is GHA and dump a CUC in. You may very well have lynbya.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dying GHA and bubble algae.
Unfortunately, you will have to remove rock into a separate container with tank water and peroxide and scrub with a firm toothbrush or similar to properly clean it. Afterwards, you can add cleaners such as Ninja star snails, margarita snails, pitho crabs, chiton snails, trochus snails and pencil urchin AND reduce white light intensity and hours of white light.
For bubble algae twist the bubbles and pull off or add a couple of felame emerald crabs.
Hey vetteguy, what should be the procedure there? I've done the same type of thing for dinos and it solved the problem for a couple of weeks. But they came back even worse a couple of weeks later....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey vetteguy, what should be the procedure there? I've done the same type of thing for dinos and it solved the problem for a couple of weeks. But they came back even worse a couple of weeks later....
As described above, after doing the scrubbing, follow up with clean up crew. An added step would be to add liquid bacteria at 1.5ml per 10 gallons during the day for 2 weeks and add 1ml of 3$ peroxide at night for a week

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have been fighting this algae for the good part of almost a year. It has wiped out my SPS and has made my tank look horrible. I have been fighting dinos for the good part of 6-8 months but I think this new algae is something completely different. I have attached some pictures of what the tank looks like and also some bubble like algae that has hardened. Also my nitrate and phosphate parameters. My salinity, calcium, alkalinity are all normal.

IMG_5683.jpg IMG_5685.jpg IMG_5687.jpg IMG_5686.jpg IMG_5689.jpg IMG_5691.jpg IMG_5693.jpg IMG_5694.jpg IMG_5695.jpg
I also can’t watch your videos but I see bubble algae and hair algae. Notice how your nitrates are 0? It’s because the green hair algae uses it up so it shows 0 on your test.

solution
Blue hermit crabs they love it.
Scrub with tooth brush.
Please whatever you do not use peroxide. That is really dumb because your killing the good algae as well. The good algae uses the same stuff the hair algae uses and you can have the good algae win the battle.

bubble algae
Bubble algae is tricky to remove and emerald crabs spread it making worse. I would replace the rock with bubble algae to be honest.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hermit crabs will not help without cutting all the stocks down as well. They can’t eat the hair algae when it is long.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat with fluconozole. It's likely bryopsis and keeping low nutrients won't work and only urchins and crabs will eat it.

I would manually remove as much as possible, treat with reef flux, keep nutrients in check with water changes (add fluconozole to water change water) and up your cleanup crew. A tuxedo urchin works wonders and looks cool to boot.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
33A8FB21-D8B7-4B9F-B6C0-F2045774B45B.jpeg

Hi everyone, here are some better pictures of the current state of the tank.

Attachments

• E69E637F-57C0-4CDB-AABE-1C9C4BAEE053.jpeg
    E69E637F-57C0-4CDB-AABE-1C9C4BAEE053.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 64
  • FB860EC2-997A-4993-A439-AC180D0286EA.jpeg
    FB860EC2-997A-4993-A439-AC180D0286EA.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 5AA1FE2E-023F-40D5-84F1-70C704ED6834.jpeg
    5AA1FE2E-023F-40D5-84F1-70C704ED6834.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 59
  • BB20C822-A097-46E8-AA7D-5D42621FEDB2.jpeg
    BB20C822-A097-46E8-AA7D-5D42621FEDB2.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat with fluconozole. It's likely bryopsis and keeping low nutrients won't work and only urchins and crabs will eat it.

I would manually remove as much as possible, treat with reef flux, keep nutrients in check with water changes (add fluconozole to water change water) and up your cleanup crew. A tuxedo urchin works wonders and looks cool to boot.
It doesnt look like bryopsis I dont see any fern like algae in there. I just posted some other pictures….I think a tuxedo urchin might be the way to go, but my tank is only a 25 gallon so would that be too small?

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also can’t watch your videos but I see bubble algae and hair algae. Notice how your nitrates are 0? It’s because the green hair algae uses it up so it shows 0 on your test.

solution
Blue hermit crabs they love it.
Scrub with tooth brush.
Please whatever you do not use peroxide. That is really dumb because your killing the good algae as well. The good algae uses the same stuff the hair algae uses and you can have the good algae win the battle.

bubble algae
Bubble algae is tricky to remove and emerald crabs spread it making worse. I would replace the rock with bubble algae to be honest.
I have a handful of blue hermit crabs but they have done nothing…

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yeah... I would empty. Dry. And restart... ugh that looks like a headache to clean without nuking that thing with somekind of chemical... bummer man
Maybe an urchin can mow it down? Idk but a restart might be my only option since I cannot get this tank algae free for the good part of almost a year

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe an urchin can mow it down? Idk but a restart might be my only option since I cannot get this tank algae free for the good part of almost a year
Yeah... no I mean unless you want to keep dumping money and time and hope it solves itself then I'd say go for it... but if it's been that long I'd just restart... restarts are good sometimes. New slate... good luck man on whatever you choose to do.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesnt look like bryopsis I dont see any fern like algae in there. I just posted some other pictures….I think a tuxedo urchin might be the way to go, but my tank is only a 25 gallon so would that be too small?
If you grab a chunk of it and it slides right off the rock, you could be looking at GHA or lyngbya. If it rips or does not come off easily, it's either turf or bryopsis.

Fluconazole has very little in the way of possible side effects, so I personally would just treat it like bryopsis anyway.

You do need to get at the root of your nutrient issue anyway, but this will at least give you a month of an algae free tank to export as many nutrients as possible with manual removal and water changes.

25 is probably too small for an urchin unless you plan to sell it back to the LFS after its done its job. It could maybe be okay if you feed pretty heavily and keep the rest of your cleanup crew small.

The larger hermit varieties like zebra hermits could work here. An army of 10 plus 5 trochus would be a good start. Emerald crabs are also another option.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back