What is Your “Must Have” or Favorite Fish in Your Reef Tank

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on availability (one of these)---Flame Angel, Potters or Coral Beauty
Anytime: Court Jester/Rainfordi Goby; McCosker's Wrasse; Clowns (any and all)

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any love for the Midas blenny? Great and active fish, years ago I had a completely blue one!

20210608_193016~2.jpg

OP
OP
sksouthpaw

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! They’re great at taking out coral pests. He barely notices anyone else in the tank bc he’s too busy inspecting every square inch of rock and all my corals all day long :)
Thats so awesome! That reminds me of my Blue Star’s behavior. Very similar just scans the rock all day long for snacks!

OP
OP
sksouthpaw

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
def a mandarin, cute and full of personality, hardy when you can get it eating
That was always my biggest issue, I guess they have captive bred mandarines now too which 10 years ago had never heard of such a thing before. But that was always IMO one of the most beautiful fish out there.

OP
OP
sksouthpaw

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to look this little fella up. He's awesome! I hope he moves house to the front for you
I love my gem tang, but a few days after I came across a Blue spot jawfish and I had to have him. Of course made his first home at the back of the tank.
20210607_204251_compress71.jpg
Thats so funny, I LOVE the jawfish as well, and was close to getting one at my LFS, but the heat in my tank gets up around 80 for these hot days and I read that they do well in cooler waters. What has been your experience?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it's a group of anthias and a Leopard wrasse.

Flame wrasse and potters angel are good choices though, I kept both for a long time. The Flame wrasse especially is an awesome fish.

I'd love an emperor angel but have never had a large enough tank. I'd also love a group of ventralis anthias but they are too expensive.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous, both fish and the tank, well done!!!!
Thanks, going to a 187g for my fishes sake mainly just gotta get past the safe transfer dilemma of the corals, having not done a water change in over 4.5 years and gonna need to add 120gallons or so of new water including new bigger sump.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats so funny, I LOVE the jawfish as well, and was close to getting one at my LFS, but the heat in my tank gets up around 80 for these hot days and I read that they do well in cooler waters. What has been your experience?
I keep my tank at or about 79. I've always had a diamond spot goby and with the new larger tank figured I would try to have both. So far the Blue Spot is doing well, moved and built a new burrow and is half out most of the time that I am home to see. He is responding to food and actively feeds when food is introduced.

OP
OP
sksouthpaw

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my tank at or about 79. I've always had a diamond spot goby and with the new larger tank figured I would try to have both. So far the Blue Spot is doing well, moved and built a new burrow and is half out most of the time that I am home to see. He is responding to food and actively feeds when food is introduced.
I love it! Youll have to keep me posted how he does.He was a hefty price at the lfs (like 300$) so I was hesitant to pull the trigger.

OP
OP
sksouthpaw

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was lucky for $200 CDN, don't often get them up here, had to take it.
Thats not bad at all! Im in the same boat though, this was the one and only time in my roughly 5 years in the hobby that ive seen one in person. Probably should have done it in hindsight

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not bad at all! Im in the same boat though, this was the one and only time in my roughly 5 years in the hobby that ive seen one in person. Probably should have done it in hindsight
I missed out on a Golden Angel and a Potters Angel and have been bitter ever since. I still want a Magnificent Foxface, missed out on that one by the customer in front of me, even asked them outside the store if they would let me buy it from them for double.

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on my dream fish(es) this weekend actually. Lightning maroon clowns. I have a got a 4" coming and picking up a 2" from lfs, this weekend hopefully, the 4" maybe a female but has never been mated/paired, same with 2". If the smaller one is gone then, a few are available online. I've been watching youtube and reading everything on pairing these temperamental fish. Gotto go slow. But having a suspected problem in DT so may have to put them on hold putting them in DT. They'll have to be qt introduced first. Wish me luck.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%
Back