What is YOUR #1 Tip for People Moving Tanks?

Andy D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I had mentioned and now said on my channel, I am going to be moving so the tanks will sadly both be shut down, but in good time the tanks will be back up and running! Going to have my good friend @BighohoReef help me out through this process so big shout out to him and his family! I will be having him hold a majority of my stock, and I will bring my rock south with me in the moving truck for the move and when I arrive to get the tank back up and going.

Now that I have opened the discussion about moving tanks, what are your #1 tips whenever you are moving a tank or system? I am interested to hear from you all about your tips and tricks to help your system have the easiest transition into a new home!

Just put a 7x2x2 in my first floor flat, that was fun/massive headache!! I knew it wasnt going up the stairs so i hired a little help lol, 8ft pallet and a tractor did the trick, oh and had to pop the window frame out too, worth it tho

Attachments

• D2087990-F9D9-4C3A-B7DB-521ABFED764C.jpeg
    D2087990-F9D9-4C3A-B7DB-521ABFED764C.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 23

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have not moved my 180 Gallon yet, but have plans to (Home Renovation). I would:
1) Plan
2) Consider appropriate variables for type of move and your specific situation
3) and especially with a Large Tank - Have someone else do it or help you (That's what I am doing and I am only moving tank within the house a matter of a few feet - 700lbs is not easy to move).
4) Once you complete the move and restart the tank - Water Test, and get everything stable before returning your live stock.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pizza, beer... after the move!!!
Lol bring as many hands as you can.
25 yrs ago I moved my 130 gallon, brought 3 friends and myself.
I'm probably moving west in a few years and will hire a moving company then, getting too old to move that beast again lol
Good luck!!!

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 dollar food grade plastic 5 gallon buckets and lids from tractor supply for all the rock and livestock...used a battery powered bait bubbler for my freshwater fish...having another tank set up at location #2 would be easiest but not absolutely necessary...your livestock went through a lot worse conditions being imported in the first place so dont worry

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack the thread but any tips on moving a tank to the other side of a room, say 20' away.

Reckon it's safe to leave sand and rock in there and get a few ppl to help slide the whole setup across the floor then refill the water?

I know Brandon recommends doing a sand rinse no matter what (have read a lot of that thread) but the tank is only four or so months old so hoping I can get away with it...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back