What is your coral feeding regiment - medium to heavy stocked?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to gauge best practice for my moderately heavy stocked mixed reef. Right now I dose amino daily (rotating between brightwell, ab+ and acropower) and feed roid/hikari coral food/mysis ever other day. No3/po4 is not an issue. All corals are doing well but want to color up acros better. What are your thoughts on

1) should I stick to 1 for a month to see of it colors up acros better, or continue to rotate between the three?
2) thinking about adding phyto to the feed mix

What do you do for your tank of similar stocking?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very small amount of reef roids in my diy fish food recipe. Just started dosing LIVE phyto daily. And occasionally I blow around the detritus around in my sump and it gets pumped in the display tank for the corals.

Felipe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefroids twice a week. Some LPS and zoanthids. Can't get easier. The thing about feeding is that you get annoyed of it and ends up stopping. gotta keep it simple. here it is https://amzn.to/3aBY3oV

jprovido

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to gauge best practice for my moderately heavy stocked mixed reef. Right now I dose amino daily (rotating between brightwell, ab+ and acropower) and feed roid/hikari coral food/mysis ever other day. No3/po4 is not an issue. All corals are doing well but want to color up acros better. What are your thoughts on

1) should I stick to 1 for a month to see of it colors up acros better, or continue to rotate between the three?
2) thinking about adding phyto to the feed mix

What do you do for your tank of similar stocking?
I do benepets 2x a week. Red sea ab+ 5-6x a week. May meat corals definitely love them. Euphilias are just steady grows.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do benepets 2x a week. Red sea ab+ 5-6x a week. May meat corals definitely love them. Euphilias are just steady grows.

What size is your system? I have been feeding RedSea AB+ but maybe twice a week at most. I have been scared to do more because of all the threads and reviews of it raising nutrients.....
im running a 75g with a 20 sump..... but still scared... I may have to go to church haha

OP
OP
D

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone. a 1.5month update -

I have kept up this feeding regimen and have seen very significant growth on my LPS and most of the "lower light" SPS. Acros have been better but not by much which i concluded is more of a light issue than nutrient. A par meter test last month also seem to confirm this - it was on 200 - 250 Par peak. A few weeks ago i added a 3rd prime and have been slowly acclimating it to a new peak of 350Par. so far. it looks like some of my more severely browned acro frags have started to return their fluorescence so i'm hopeful.

In terms of nutrient levels and some of your concerns on your own tank on the risk of it elevating - i believe it really is dependent on your biomass and how much nutrient it can absorb and also how much your skimmer/fuge can take out. Despite this HEAVY feeding, my No3/po4 is stayed at 2-3ppm / 0.02PPM. It's a 4 year mature system so i'm not concerned that nutrient is being locked up in substrates that'll bite me in the butt later like some younger tanks may be a risk to.

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone. a 1.5month update -

I have kept up this feeding regimen and have seen very significant growth on my LPS and most of the "lower light" SPS. Acros have been better but not by much which i concluded is more of a light issue than nutrient. A par meter test last month also seem to confirm this - it was on 200 - 250 Par peak. A few weeks ago i added a 3rd prime and have been slowly acclimating it to a new peak of 350Par. so far. it looks like some of my more severely browned acro frags have started to return their fluorescence so i'm hopeful.

In terms of nutrient levels and some of your concerns on your own tank on the risk of it elevating - i believe it really is dependent on your biomass and how much nutrient it can absorb and also how much your skimmer/fuge can take out. Despite this HEAVY feeding, my No3/po4 is stayed at 2-3ppm / 0.02PPM. It's a 4 year mature system so i'm not concerned that nutrient is being locked up in substrates that'll bite me in the butt later like some younger tanks may be a risk to.
I buy several of same frags and mount them in different locations and usually for sps the higher light really makes them glow florescently. The lower ones look colorful but a darker drab. I do need to keep my nitrates 7 to 10 for great coloration etc as well. I also daily feed ab+… it looks like it has flourescent dye in it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back