What is your dirty glass telling you & how quick does it get dirty?

If you clean your glass how long does it take to need another scraping?

• Same day

Votes: 32 2.6%
  • Next day

Votes: 152 12.6%
  • Couple days

Votes: 419 34.7%
  • Few days

Votes: 338 28.0%
  • A week

Votes: 214 17.7%
  • A couple weeks

Votes: 47 3.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 0.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today let's talk about dirty glass. Not build up of algae from lack of care but the "algae film" that just about everyone gets on a regular basis. How regular that is and how bad it gets may also be an indicator of issues. I would like to hear from you about how often you have to clean yours and what is it telling you? Let's go!

1. How often does your aquarium glass get a film of algae on it? If you clean your glass how long does it take to need another scraping?

2. If you're having to clean your glass often what do you think that says, if anything, about the chemistry of your tank? What's your experience?

image via easybladeusa.com
4.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every few days I voted ,I usually use algae magnet 2 times a week roughly.
At moment only cleaning front glass as cbb fighting its reflection on side glass so leaving that get dirty to see if minimises it which it has .
What it tells me idk but have read more extra nutrients in the water it hits the glass and the algae quickly grabs it but only what ive read ,I'm guessing lights beaming on glass would affect it also whether you aim your reflectors away from glass and into centre of tank or if leds have them go straight down ( ie have less lights near edges of aquarium or have higher up but have some kind side on lights so light only goes straight down

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i tend to only have film algae grow on my front glass. but i voted every couple day. most common is about once a week. if in the odd chance it goes up to about twice a week it could mean i am over feeding(usually after feeding reef roids)

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How often does your aquarium glass get a film of algae on it? If you clean your glass how long does it take to need another scraping?

Every 3 or 4 days.

2. If you're having to clean your glass often what do you think that says, if anything, about the chemistry of your tank? What's your experience?
Higher nutrients mean my algae grows faster.
When my phosphates start to rise I see more soft brown growth than the harder green algae on the glass.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about dirty glass. Not build up of algae from lack of care but the "algae film" that just about everyone gets on a regular basis. How regular that is and how bad it gets may also be an indicator of issues. I would like to hear from you about how often you have to clean yours and what is it telling you? Let's go!

4.jpg
Mine gets dirty the next day but it’s mainly the starfish not being eaten by my wrasses - My parameters are never spiking but I also only clean the glass once or twice a week - My bristletooth tang uses the algae and so does the Foxface.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4.jpg
couple hours

daileyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally about once every 4 or 5 days, when things are stable and good. When the algae starts growing more rapidly on the glass, it is an indicator to me that something is potentially out of wack.

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean every few days + or -.
If it gets scummy in a couple days i need to change filter socks. If it is brown and or dark green in spots, i need to replace gfo.
Lots of blenny and bristle tooth “kisses” in the film between cleaning means my fish are doing their jobs

Burray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get this brownish film towards the bottom of my front glass and on the sides, left side more than rt side since I can't to that side until I do my weekly water change. I clean my glass several times weekly just cause I hate seeing it but don't know what causes it. Any thoughts?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted every few days, but I may let it go for a week if I'm busy. The extra film build-up doesn't hurt anything. It only take about 5-10 minutes.

"Often" is relative. In my tank, if I don't have to clean the glass at least weekly, it means nutrients, usually nitrates, are too low. If I have to clean it more than every three days, it means my nutrients, usually phosphates, have crept up.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back