What is your experience with corals live sale event

What is your experience with corals live sale event?

• I do find hard to find corals with good price.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I do find hard to find corals with normal price.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only find common corals, but the price is good.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I only find common corals, and the price is as usual.

• It depends...

• I've never attend any of them.

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

Rey "deep sea" Manta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to stock my tank with corals. I don't know whether I should join one of the corals live sale event by any of the coral vendor.
What is your experience with corals live sale event? I am thinking about join one of them, but I am not sure whether it's worth the time.
If there is not any anything special, I will just buy them straight from the LFS or online listing.

If you have any tips for these kind events, please share!!

Cheers!

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to stock my tank with corals. I don't know whether I should join one of the corals live sale event by any of the coral vendor.
What is your experience with corals live sale event? I am thinking about join one of them, but I am not sure whether it's worth the time.
If there is not any anything special, I will just buy them straight from the LFS or online listing.

If you have any tips for these kind events, please share!!

Cheers!

Ha I have been through quite a few of them myself and I think pretty much all of my corals are from live sales

Some places truly do provide amazing prices and if you are willing to wait for the end usually have a after sale code for even more off.

but It really depends one what you are looking for. some vendors specialize in some corals more than others.

you have to remember there are 500 other people trying to get that same coral sometimes so don't get discouraged if you miss something you really want! we all do. ive gotten tons of stuff on my phone.

let me know if you have any specific questions!

never hurts to try!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only joined in a few live sales and I have got some amazing deals. It can get frustrating because most of the corals you go to buy someone else will get first but usually if you are willing to spend the entire sale trying to get them you will eventually score some great deals.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've attended a few, but after buying separately and without the rush, I look back on them as a huge time sink, and overall the price difference just isn't worth the effort to refresh the thread every ~30s over multiple hours.

I much prefer a general sale at a certain time of day, or at the very least a large drop at specific time periods.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten some great deals on corals from live sales. Its hard to catch the freebies or under $5 deals, but it can be done. Also be aware that some vendors like @Living Reef Orlando or @calikidcorals or @RiptideAquaculture Will often give you freebies on their own. Ann at LRO is a true Goddess!! She has gifted me some phenomenal pieces!! I am fortunate enough to live within a couple hours drive of the Calikids Corals north store and have gotten a few really nice pieces from them as well.

Your profile says you are in San Jose.. my hometown.. You are an easy drive to CaliKids in Concord so you save shipping module. Neptune Aquatics is just around the corner from you.

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy from ASD in livesale, very very discounted price. It is the only place I would choose to if I'm new to saltwater again since the price is simply unbeatable. Also a great place to practice dipping corals, get used to it, and you will be prepared to purchase expensive corals in the future.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@SBB Corals last live sale was incredible. You could get up to 6 $1 corals, if you stayed up late you got jaw dropping deals, I'm talking corals worth hundreds for like $6, and Shane just gave out gift cards left and right for staying active. I'm obsessed with what I got.

OP
OP
Rey "deep sea" Manta

Rey "deep sea" Manta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After observing of the sale events in the past months, I come out some lesson learned, so I am replying to myself here :)

Disclaimer: I am targeting $100 ~ $500 price range for each coral (with some exceptions). And I have a yearly budget for corals. Your view should be different, if you have a bigger/smaller wallet.
  1. Unless you have to get this super rare coral NOW, and it would break your heart if you don't have it in your tank, don't buy coral for its original price. Most corals will be in discount sooner or later. What really matter is, whether you would regret if you miss it.
    For example, a WYSIWYG coral that you have been waiting for a long long time, just take it before it is gone.

2. There is always a sale event. In the past month, I have seen Easter Day sale, end of Spring sale, store anniversary sale, Mother's Day sale, etc. If your tank is not ready, or you are busy with something, just skip the sales.

3. Before the live sale event, try to get an idea about what you are targeting, and the acceptable price range. If it shows up, take it without any hesitation. This can increase your chance to secure the coral you want, and avoid some impulse purchases.
    You can get a rough idea buy checking the same coral store previous sale event thread. If this store did not have anything you want, skip it before wasting a half day.

4. If you miss the live sale, don't worry. Most of the time, there will be a store wide discount after the live sale event. The price or corals are not as good as in the live sale, but they are still much better than the original price.

I am only in this game for a month, so please let me know if I am doing it wrong.

Back