what is your favorite fish in your aquarium?

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am asking because i will get a 65 gallon tank soon, and hope to make it a mixed reef, and am looking for some good fish for my tank. What are your favorites?

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! I like the snowflake maroons, but cant keep them in my tank since they would harrass my tankmates
Excited Swim GIF by BBC America

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am asking because i will get a 65 gallon tank soon, and hope to make it a mixed reef, and am looking for some good fish for my tank. What are your favorites?
I like my Blue Hippo Tang. That said, I also like the narius snails that I have as part of my CUC. A 65 Gal Is too small for a Tang - think of how the fish will grow. Looking at your 65 Gallon Limit - I like my Clown Fish - I have a male and female (They are approx. 4 and 5) years old.

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add - had a Tomato Clown Fish (Cinnamon) - I DO NOT recommend these guys ! He got along with my other Clown fish and tankmates for 18 months. Then he turned into a bully. My Blue hippo was only one who could keep him in check - finally got him and rehomed him to my LFS. BTW everybody was listed as compatible. Now that the bully is gone - it like new life in the tank - all are Happy!!

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clownfish pair, royal gramma, banggai cardinal, yellow watchman goby, mandarin goby, firefish, maybe a coral beauty ( caution with corals)
That’s some of the fish I’d put into a 65 gallon tank

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Eibli (Red Stripe) Angel, in the foreground, love the orange colour markings around eyes and powder blue tail....honourable mention to 18 year old Deuce the YT in background, can't forget him lol. Both in a 90 mixed reef. Minimum for Eibli I have seen listed anywhere from 60 to 75....so you might want to consider it, if you like the look of them...hardy fish usually for established tanks, with a decent amount of rockwork to dart in and out of....
20210615_183002.jpg

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my Blue Hippo Tang. That said, I also like the narius snails that I have as part of my CUC. A 65 Gal Is too small for a Tang - think of how the fish will grow. Looking at your 65 Gallon Limit - I like my Clown Fish - I have a male and female (They are approx. 4 and 5) years old.
yeah, i wasnt gonna add any tangs or butterfly fish. Would a foxface be ok? According to liveAquaria the foxface rabbitfish needs a 70 gallon... Also i am planning on pairing clownfish and to have snails :)

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Eibli (Red Stripe) Angel, in the foreground, love the orange colour markings around eyes and powder blue tail....honourable mention to 18 year old Deuce the YT in background, can't forget him lol. Both in a 90 mixed reef. Minimum for Eibli I have seen listed anywhere from 60 to 75....so you might want to consider it, if you like the look of them...hardy fish usually for established tanks, with a decent amount of rockwork to dart in and out of....
20210615_183002.jpg
Beautiful fish! Are they hardy, and do they eat corals?

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add - had a Tomato Clown Fish (Cinnamon) - I DO NOT recommend these guys ! He got along with my other Clown fish and tankmates for 18 months. Then he turned into a bully. My Blue hippo was only one who could keep him in check - finally got him and rehomed him to my LFS. BTW everybody was listed as compatible. Now that the bully is gone - it like new life in the tank - all are Happy!!
Huh. I wasnt gonna get one anyway, but good to know that they can be aggresive. Thanks for the tip!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish! Are they hardy, and do they eat corals?
Thanks.... Very hardy in my experience....Here is the crux.... known to possibly nip at them, I did see him go at my Kenya tree for a day or two a week after intro ( some call this a blessing lol), but after that and accepting frozen and nori smooth sailing, doesn't even look at them. Same my Coral Beauty over 5 years. There is a risk but IMO it's worth it.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.... Very hardy in my experience....Here is the crux.... known to possibly nip at them, I did see him go at my Kenya tree for a day or two a week after intro ( some call this a blessing lol), but after that and accepting frozen and nori smooth sailing, doesn't even look at them. Same my Coral Beauty over 5 years. There is a risk but IMO it's worth it.
ok! I may try one, not at first though, maybe in a few months. I want to start with the hardiest fish possible, then move it up to the less hardy but more beautiful.

Back