What is your favourite underrated marine fish?

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Starry too, that breed of fish is wild lol.

Yeah I left for an hour and it knocked over the brain coral frag that I haven't secured yet. He's notorious for perching on coral. Also doesn't like hermits or snails near his hole. He carries them out in his mouth and drops them on the other side of the tank...usually right on top of the Favias or Acans. The Tailspot removes small snails from its cave as well in the same manner. Very entertaining fish, both of them. It's like a circus in there sometimes.

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M
Yeah I left for an hour and it knocked over the brain coral frag that I haven't secured yet. He's notorious for perching on coral. Also doesn't like hermits or snails near his hole. He carries them out in his mouth and drops them on the other side of the tank...usually right on top of the Favias or Acans. The Tailspot removes small snails from its cave as well in the same manner. Very entertaining fish, both of them. It's like a circus in there sometimes.
MINE DOES THE SAME THING. If I don't glue a frag down and let it cure before walking away, he gets right up on it and shove it off the rock lol. Thats too funny.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhinchus cyanosoma)​

1610657455738.png

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse and Decorator Crabs. My wrasse was my favorite fish and always out and swimming around. She seemed very intelligent and would watch me constantly. Very easy and pretty fish to keep. My decorator crab was also fenomenal. Occasionally she would grab a paly and eat or wear it but it was entertaining nonetheless to watch her antics.

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please by all means share your experiences keeping the Genicanthus! :)

Well here's some pictures of my Genicanthus Bellus male. Definitely a looker. Bit of a bully to some of my smaller fish but nothing terrible. Need to get him a lady in his life maybe. Had to separate him from my Lennardi wrasse. I like my Bellus, but the Lennardi will win out in a Sophie's Choice battle every time.

Dsc05120.jpg
Dsc05137.jpg

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Is he the only Genicanthus you’ve kept? Would love to know about its hardiness, feeding, disease resistance etc.
I had a Bellus female but she got a little too close to my carpet anemone :(. I found them both to be extremely hardy otherwise. I prophylactically treat all my fish and do a long QT so never had any issues with disease. Eats like a pig; Seaweed Extreme, Mysis, Bloodworms.

I'm moving to Hawaii in a month so maybe a Genicanthus personatus or two will be in my future. :D (in my dreams).

Last edited:

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Is he the only Genicanthus you’ve kept? Would love to know about its hardiness, feeding, disease resistance etc.
They get ich easily. Not an ich magnet like some tangs but if ich gets in your tank somehow, angels will next after tangs if not along with them. I had a japnese swallow tail female. Beautiful beautiful fish. Shimmering white color, angel eyes didn't bully any other fish. Got ich from my tomini tang and was 2nd fish to die ☹️

El Grunto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Hector's goby. The little guy just hovers around doing his own little thing sifting tiny amounts of sand.

20201112_221554.jpg

OP
OP
Noah Hemingway

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here's some pictures of my Genicanthus Bellus male. Definitely a looker. Bit of a bully to some of my smaller fish but nothing terrible. Need to get him a lady in his life maybe. Had to separate him from my Lennardi wrasse. I like my Bellus, but the Lennardi will win out in a Sophie's Choice battle every time.

Dsc05120.jpg
Dsc05137.jpg
what a beauty! really shows well under that blue light!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 137 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back