What is your flow goal for your tank and how are you creating it?

What are your goals for flow in your tank? (choose all that apply)

• Keep corals healthy

Votes: 352 85.0%
  • Keep fish happy

Votes: 190 45.9%
  • Keep sand and dead spots clear of debris

Votes: 213 51.4%
  • Disperse food

Votes: 105 25.4%
  • Mimic the ocean as much as possible

Votes: 173 41.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As you well know flow is very important for our tank for a multitude of reasons and choosing the right solution, pumps etc. is vital to the long term success of your reef. So help me out here and answer these questions and help us understand your FLOW GOAL!

1. What pumps, equipment, devices etc. are you using for flow?

2. What is your goal for flow in your tank? Is it for a certain coral, fish, keep the sand clear of debris, disperse food etc?

1553801673945.png

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i use my return pump, and 2 nero 3's for flow. basically only use it for oxygenation, food dispersion, and because i have a mixed reef and have to tend to all levels of care. dead spots are inevitable unless you have an SPS only tank...

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the return (which I have dialed down lower than some would like), I’m running six WAVs in a 160 barebottom. It’s a lot of random, alternating flow patterns….not just blasting a constant stream. Corals and fish seem happy, although I will say some growth patterns are a little off if you compare them to the perfectly pruned and symmetrical coral pics posted everywhere.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know they're getting too much flow?

Tissue is coming off is usually a sign. Or won't open
Exactly. They are being blown around too much and dont have that nice sway to them. They also dont stay open for long. Im afraid that if I cut back on flow then ill have cyano from dead spots.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. They are being blown around too much and dont have that nice sway to them. They also dont stay open for long. Im afraid that if I cut back on flow then ill have cyano from dead spots.
Constant vs random/intermittent flow is very different. Try to make it random or timed so there's rest

NinjaSushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use my return pump, and 2 nero 3's for flow. basically only use it for oxygenation, food dispersion, and because i have a mixed reef and have to tend to all levels of care. dead spots are inevitable unless you have an SPS only tank...
Man I love my Nero 3. I want more. I cheaped out and got the Hygger wave maker and while it's okay, I like the app for the neros way more.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nero 5s
Neptune WAV x 4

keep coral happy, Kerp debris off surfaces and surface exchange

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full controllability of flow rate, and full repurpose ability of the equipment I use on my reef. So my equipment can always be used on a larger tank later down the line.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Constant vs random/intermittent flow is very different. Try to make it random or timed so there's rest
There are 4 static jets on the rear of the Redsea Max tank and I have a gyre and normal powerhead pulsing. Debatic taking those 4 static jets offline. If would also help with heating the water up.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the above is my goal! I need to get better about flow on my sand bed though because I am sure thats why i have the red patchs!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 167 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.0%
Back