What is your flow goal for your tank and how are you creating it?

What are your goals for flow in your tank? (choose all that apply)

• Keep corals healthy

Votes: 352 85.0%
  • Keep fish happy

Votes: 190 45.9%
  • Keep sand and dead spots clear of debris

Votes: 213 51.4%
  • Disperse food

Votes: 105 25.4%
  • Mimic the ocean as much as possible

Votes: 173 41.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cor 20 as return on 85%
WAV’s x3 near 100% all the time.
4k gyre on pulse 100%
Keep coral happy.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Mimic the ocean as much as possible"

I want to see the waves and current moving in my tank. I have one wavemaker set to a pattern that creates a standing wave. I then have another wavemaker low in the tank that does strong and long tidal currents.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50g cube, two nero 3 one on each back side left and right, set to 4 second pulse with a 180° phase to slosh the water back and forth. My torches seem to like it. No dead spots, but I have a lot of sandbed critters.

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 650 litre tank or 171 us gal, I have two RW-15 13000 litres (3434 GPH) on constant 'H' flow (high flow) at maximum power setting on either end of the aquarium and a 9000 litre (2377 GPH) return pump running on minimum power, I voted for everything in my vote because the sea never stops moving and so its all of the above with regards to the vote, if I can't see the sps polyps occasionally waving in the water at me it's time for a brushing of the wavemakers.

raggampz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 mp40s with random flow across the waterbox220 and wavebox to create side to side movement for eupyllia and extra random wavemaker to break water surface for gas exchange

Jubal_Harshaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you well know flow is very important for our tank for a multitude of reasons and choosing the right solution, pumps etc. is vital to the long term success of your reef. So help me out here and answer these questions and help us understand your FLOW GOAL!

1. What pumps, equipment, devices etc. are you using for flow?

2. What is your goal for flow in your tank? Is it for a certain coral, fish, keep the sand clear of debris, disperse food etc?

1553801673945.png
Mp40 for 50 gallon Waterbox AIO 50.3, because glass is 10 mm and one mm to thick for an Mp10. Mainly LPS, Mushrooms and Zoas.

FreshCoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang this forum is rad! It's so cool to see the responses of all these experienced reefers.

I'm still figuring out flow in my 20g cube mixed reef. I'm just running the return pump currently, but thinking of adding a Nero 3...

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm certainly no expert. From what I understand and learn from others, I use wave pumps in my reefer 250 to do multitudes of things. I guess the most important is to mimic the ocean. In that manner, the current in the tank keeps the fish happy and the corals healthy. The sand bed is kept clean and food is dispersed evenly allowing for all fish/coral to feed.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. What pumps, equipment, devices etc. are you using for flow?
Sicci 9 return pump 2x maxspect gyres (F350) on either side at the top of the tank. when one is 'pumping' the other is not.
2. What is your goal for flow in your tank? Is it for a certain coral, fish, keep the sand clear of debris, disperse food etc?
All of the above. Even in quiet areas of the reef there is likely considerably more flow than we have in our tanks. Higher flow also means higher oxygenation, helps remove waste products from the immediate area surrounding corals (i.e. coral waste products) and allows small particles to disperse and help feel the corals with out adding additional coral foods.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Exactly. They are being blown around too much and dont have that nice sway to them. They also dont stay open for long. Im afraid that if I cut back on flow then ill have cyano from dead spots.
There is such a thing as 'too much constant flow' - i.e. a power head directed constantly directly at a single hammer coral. But - that same flow which is bidirectional - i.e. not constant - should not cause tissue removal. If there is tissue removal its usually not flow - its a disease IME

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is such a thing as 'too much constant flow' - i.e. a power head directed constantly directly at a single hammer coral. But - that same flow which is bidirectional - i.e. not constant - should not cause tissue removal. If there is tissue removal its usually not flow - its a disease IME
None of the powerheads are pointed at any of the corals. The 4 rear jets on the tank are pointed straight towards the front glass and the return is pointed at a rock and the gyre and power head are at the top blowing over everything.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
None of the powerheads are pointed at any of the corals. The 4 rear jets on the tank are pointed straight towards the front glass and the return is pointed at a rock and the gyre and power head are at the top blowing over everything.
Hi - Yes - I wasn't commenting on your tank - it was a general comment. Sorry:)

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MP40 about 1/4 below water surface and MP10 on the opposite side half way down and closer to the back wall on my 100 gallon mixed reef. Both with random flows, mostly nutrient export mode, throughout the day and at night set for a calmer flow to allow things to rest a bit.

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
210 gal has 2x mp40 and two Red Sea gyres on opposite ends . Mp40 on pulse and gyres aimed at surface on random settings. Return pump is danner 18 through two return lines aimed towards the front glass . I have good flow mostly toward top2/3 and slower flow at sides below flow pumps . This works well with mixed reef lps /softy in bottom 1/3 and still get the “sway”

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back