What is your preference when it comes to salt mix?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is to not have to dose and replenish the tank doing 20% water changes weekly. I'm going to measure alk, cal over the next week to see how much the tank is using. Hopefully the water changes will be enough to keep levels in range. Might opt to do two 15% water changes weekly
I would go with a higher parameter salt then. IO Reef Crystals would be good for that.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using IO Reef Crystals since I started the Evo 13.5 in February this year and the 20gal a few months ago. Do a 2-3 gal wc each week. So far, so good.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What parameters does that typically give you at the salinity you run?
I don't use this anymore...however, I targeted NSW levels. I did a 15% water change once a month and IO RC would replenish/boost tank and then the parameters would come down over the month.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just did a youtube video on this last Saturday. I love tropic Marin pro great salt but I am tired of spending 100+
I am trying Red Sea Blue Bucket. I think the blue bucket is decent salt. and a decent balance between the parameters I am looking for and cost. Let face it we are living in unsure times. Click on the link in my sig if you want to see the video.
I pay average $70 when there is a sale via Amazon with free ship

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How do you like tropic marin. Have you noticed any difference in your phospates from using it. I see some threads with concerns that tropic marin has elevated phospate levels.
I like it. Dissolves easily and my best coral response
I use chemipure elite which likely keeps my phosphate and nitrate in check

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a transition from freshwater to marine tanks in 1984, tried all the salt mixes (there were only 3 back then) and Instant Ocean always gave the best results, it was also the highest priced salt mix back then. i swapped to Reef Crystals in the late 90s and other then a few occasions where i could get IO at a ridiculously low cost i've stuck with the RC to this day. there was a time when 200g boxes/buckets were cheaper 'by the gallon' but lately the 160g buckets are more cost effective then the boxes and you can't get the 200g buckets any longer as far as i know. i try to stock up when i catch a sale and i rarely ever pay over $35 for a 160g bucket.

the comment about BRS showing the cost comparison of salts was based on their price which has IO and RC at twice what you can get it from most retailers. cost per gallon of Reef Crystals is 20¢ per gallon (less when on sale), their next lowest was 49¢ per gallon.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It actually doesn't. It just keeps them in check by absorbing organics before they break down into NO3 and PO4.
Reduced for me.
Pho’s went from 2.1 to .05
Nitrate from 1.1 to .05

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Woah, with only the addition of chemipure elite? No water changes, or anything else?

I always use chemipure blue, but now I’m considering elite.
Those who know me know I don’t change water and my links below show my happy coral

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who know me know I don’t change water and my links below show my happy coral
That’s so interesting. IIRC, RHF has told me that chemipure has organic absorbing resin, but doesn’t remove nutrients directly. Just the organics that lead to nutrients. Really surprising.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That’s so interesting. IIRC, RHF has told me that chemipure has organic absorbing resin, but doesn’t remove nutrients directly. Just the organics that lead to nutrients. Really surprising.
Just alone, the GFO it contains will explain the reduction

Back