What is your preferred way of checking salinity?

Key Largo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer conductivity meters, especially ones with capability to read a wide range from RO/DI functioning to kalkwasser potency to seawater salinity. Good ones can also read salinity and temperature continuously during acclimation.
One of the best tips I received from Randy was to by a salinity probe to measure conductivity for saturating Kalk. But it has been even more useful for quick salinity measurements during water changes. Quick dip of probe into DT assures me nothing drastic has happened to salinity in the interim and a quick dip in my salt mix reservoir (after mixing and temp stabilization) shows me if I screwed anything up during the process. Very quick readings. I use Pinpoint salinity probe/monitor.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with a Hanna salinity meter I also have a bischoff conductivity meter from Germany that I think cost me around $400. Back in the day when I used to breed discus which still works great today .and apex

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back