What is your preferred way of checking salinity?

Camaronero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon,
Using tropic Marin pro reef mix (German); I have ~25 gallons and added 12 1/2 cups of salt and ended up with 1.010 on my refractometer after 36 hours (heater at 77 and power head in the brute container too) which idk why feels odd. The furniture I was planning to put the tank on is giving me problems so I ordered a stand from Amazon which comes in the next 5-9 days. So 2 big problems at the worst timing possible.
•How long can I store this somewhat prepared saltwater¿¿ (gonna want another way to read my salinity that feels more precise before adding more)
•What precise salinity reading instrument should I get that won’t break the bank? (Tropic Marin hydrometer seems to be out of stock everywhere and shipping from Europe is gonna be minimum 3-4 weeks)
Please lmk so I can follow instructions /purchase ASAP.
Have a great rest of the day¡

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/refractometer-for-reading-salinity-with-calibration-fluid-bundle.html works great and is pretty easy to calibrate (using RO water and calibration fluid). Calibration should be verified on occasion, if not every use. I also have an old-school hydrometer laying around. I use that for quick checks when mixing up salt and comparing it to the tank water I am replacing. It might not be precise, but it is accurate enough (especially when comparing one water source to another).

BRS also did a nice investigative video on how long various salts last when mixed (without heat). Ill see if i can dig it up. - Here you go

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refractometer and calibrated every day I use it. It won’t move for a week then every day it moves calibration a bit so I find it just best to check it every day that I use it at least once. A lot of people one here seem to like the digital ones to.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer conductivity meters, especially ones with capability to read a wide range from RO/DI functioning to kalkwasser potency to seawater salinity. Good ones can also read salinity and temperature continuously during acclimation.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good afternoon,
Using tropic Marin pro reef mix (German); I have ~25 gallons and added 12 1/2 cups of salt and ended up with 1.010 on my refractometer after 36 hours (heater at 77 and power head in the brute container too) which idk why feels odd. The furniture I was planning to put the tank on is giving me problems so I ordered a stand from Amazon which comes in the next 5-9 days. So 2 big problems at the worst timing possible.
•How long can I store this somewhat prepared saltwater¿¿ (gonna want another way to read my salinity that feels more precise before adding more)
•What precise salinity reading instrument should I get that won’t break the bank? (Tropic Marin hydrometer seems to be out of stock everywhere and shipping from Europe is gonna be minimum 3-4 weeks)
Please lmk so I can follow instructions /purchase ASAP.
Have a great rest of the day¡
That seems off. I use Hanna dip stick. Temp and salinity.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a refractometer from VeeGee scientific. It's very sturdy. I always verify that it is zeroed to a calibration solution or RODI before checking salinity.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate refractometers I use Hanna salinity meter calibrated at a minimum every 2 weeks if not weekly

Wasabiroot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a VeeGee Scientific refractometer also. I also have some 35ppt salinity solution and RO/DI to calibrate it.
Only thing I don't like about it is I find it challenging to adjust the calibration ring without completely unscrewing the microscopic set screw. I hate microscopic set screws.

Wasabiroot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer conductivity meters, especially ones with capability to read a wide range from RO/DI functioning to kalkwasser potency to seawater salinity. Good ones can also read salinity and temperature continuously during acclimation.
Do you recommend any units in particular?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Randy chooses conductivity, then this is the right answer lol.

I personally use my Milwaukee salinity tester. It’s accurate, fast, and provides a digital readout.

reeferpat137

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12.5 cups of salt for 25gal should put you right at 1.026/35ppt. Id say get a new refractometer/calibration fluid. Water can be stored for a while
Im actually so confident in the 1/2 cup per gallon measurment method that i dont check my mixed water at all....... unless i lose count of my scoop number

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this thing
20210820_190146.jpg

Back