What is your preferred way of checking salinity?

OP
OP
C

Camaronero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Randy chooses conductivity, then this is the right answer lol.

I personally use my Milwaukee salinity tester. It’s accurate, fast, and provides a digital readout.
Thank you ALL for the replies and input it is very appreciated¡ I’m in better hands just getting this:
97BB1D51-D6DB-4A84-964C-95E28F9E1D8E.png

OR are these better long term options??
B5CE7E9D-8533-4F0A-BE50-41861F66AC46.png
59256639-3DD5-4A7C-AF97-728AF02AAF9C.png

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you ALL for the replies and input it is very appreciated¡ I’m in better hands just getting this:
97BB1D51-D6DB-4A84-964C-95E28F9E1D8E.png

OR are these better long term options??
B5CE7E9D-8533-4F0A-BE50-41861F66AC46.png
59256639-3DD5-4A7C-AF97-728AF02AAF9C.png
The first option is just a calibration fluid.

Hannah salinity checks are wildly inaccurate. I actually purchased that one before I listened to the people here who highly recommended the Milwaukee.

I would 100% choose the Milwaukee. And you only need pure RO water to calibrate it!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do a 3 way test:
Conductivity meter
Apex
Refractometer

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The floating glass hydrometer I got at the LFS has never steered me wrong. I think I paid like $7.99 a few years ago. Probably more expensive now.
I had one of these for my FO system way back in the 90's. Worked for what I needed.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my Apex conductivity for a general reading that I can check quickly, but when I need a solid reading I have been using the Hanna HI96822 Digital refractometer. A little distilled water to calibrate at the start and boom I have my readings.

OP
OP
C

Camaronero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The floating glass hydrometer I got at the LFS has never steered me wrong. I think I paid like $7.99 a few years ago. Probably more expensive now.
My first choice is the glass hydrometer from tropic Marin but shipping from Germany with the beaker included is too expensive and will arrive in 3-4 weeks I’m gonna end up ordering @Miamireef’s solid suggestion.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use the Hanna HI96822 digital refractometer.

It is simple and easy to calibrate and has been very consistent. I do warm it up with my hand to 78 degrees prior to calibrating or measuring to ensure that the sample is as accurate as possible.

There is deviation if there is a large temperature difference. This is true with all salinity measuring tools. They all claim to have temperature compensation built in, but beyond a few degrees they start to lose accuracy.

I would not recommend the hand held pen style Hanna salinity tester.
https://premiumaquatics.com/products/hanna-98319-waterproof-salinity-tester.html
It drifts a lot and requires constant recalibration. You also have to use their 35ppt solution to calibrate it which is a consumable item (I have tried to use others and it never "recognizes" them). People seem to love them, but I question how they feel about them after long term use. Works great as a thermometer though.

The "Gold Standard" for me is the Tropic Marin High Precision Hydrometer. Noting to calibrate and it just works every time; just at the cost of ease of use.
www.bulkreefsupply.com

High Precision Hydrometer - Tropic Marin

Ensure that your equipment is reading correctly and your aquarium is at the right salinity with Tropic Marin's High Precision Hydrometer. Many tank inhabitants are sensitive even to minor changes of the water conditions. Unfortunately as we've all experienced, salinity reading equipment as...
www.bulkreefsupply.com
www.bulkreefsupply.com

And the "I'm not just sharing bogus information just to hear myself talk" photo... One is far better than the other.
1648833115346.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Camaronero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use the Hanna HI96822 digital refractometer.

It is simple and easy to calibrate and has been very consistent. I do warm it up with my hand to 78 degrees prior to calibrating or measuring to ensure that the sample is as accurate as possible.

There is deviation if there is a large temperature difference. This is true with all salinity measuring tools. They all claim to have temperature compensation built in, but beyond a few degrees they start to lose accuracy.

I would not recommend the hand held pen style Hanna salinity tester.
https://premiumaquatics.com/products/hanna-98319-waterproof-salinity-tester.html
It drifts a lot and requires constant recalibration. You also have to use their 35ppt solution to calibrate it which is a consumable item (I have tried to use others and it never "recognizes" them). People seem to love them, but I question how they feel about them after long term use. Works great as a thermometer though.

The "Gold Standard" for me is the Tropic Marin High Precision Hydrometer. Noting to calibrate and it just works every time; just at the cost of ease of use.
www.bulkreefsupply.com

High Precision Hydrometer - Tropic Marin

Ensure that your equipment is reading correctly and your aquarium is at the right salinity with Tropic Marin's High Precision Hydrometer. Many tank inhabitants are sensitive even to minor changes of the water conditions. Unfortunately as we've all experienced, salinity reading equipment as...
www.bulkreefsupply.com
www.bulkreefsupply.com

And the "I'm not just sharing bogus information just to hear myself talk" photo... One is far better than the other.
1648833115346.jpeg
The tropic Marin hydrometer is and has been my first choice, since I’ve been searching for a US vendor to have that in stock even before purchased everything for my build... Impossible.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tropic Marin hydrometer is and has been my first choice, since I’ve been searching for a US vendor to have that in stock even before purchased everything for my build... Impossible.
That is fair, when something is not available it stops being a reasonable option. Other Hydrometers will provide the same consistency and would still be my gold standard.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back