What is your preferred way of checking salinity?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know that?
I should have worded that differently, and not made such a blanket statement.

The swing arm and glass hydrometer read exactly the same when I test my salinity. The hanna tester I have would read up to 1.028 even after calibration when the other two were at 1.025.

I do realize that hanna has a deviation of .002, so that 1.028 might be 1.026, and factoring in the deviation of .001 of the glass hydrometer the reading of 1.025 might be 1.026.

I just didn't want to be checking and guessing 3 different ways with testers. So now I stick with the two that read the same consistently, so if I see a reading that is off I know to check with the other.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a refractometer 12 years ago, great investment. I calibrate it about once every two years.

I am also using a conductivity probe. Once calibrated, the probe and refractometer give synchronized salinity results (I can't say matching because they are measuring different things).

I think the cheapest thing is to get a swing arm, and calibrate it with a magic marker and some test fluid.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a top pick of mine, BUT the calibration fluid reviews sent me running away. Where do you purchase them and how often do you calibrate¿
Randy has a recipe for making cal fluid. Otherwise I would expect you can buy the cal fluid where you buy the instrument

Salty Jays Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a refractometer, then went to a Hanna salinity pen and I have finally settled on the Tropic Marin High precision hydrometer. I ordered a 1L plastic graduated cylinder from amazon and for less than 50 bucks in total, I get the exact salinity every time no calibration is required!

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol wgat one did you use
Had choice of cheap Aqua One or another brand that was a tad more expensive because expensive is better quality right.
WE don't have much in the way of quality hydrometers in Australia. Sera is probably the best.
I'll look see how much the Tropic Marin is to buy OS

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had choice of cheap Aqua One or another brand that was a tad more expensive because expensive is better quality right.
WE don't have much in the way of quality hydrometers in Australia. Sera is probably the best.
I'll look see how much the Tropic Marin is to buy OS
When your fish keeping you get what you pay for, I have never seen a sera one, I might get it if its better!

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrometers are great, cheap, easy and reliable, but they can be innaccurate. I am looking into a refractometer.
buy reputable is all I'll say. I bought Dymax as it was the dearest in the store at $10 over the "cheap" one.
The scale shifted and was way out.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%

Back