What is your preferred way to determine time to replace kalkwasser powder in kalk reactor?

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like to determine when it’s time to replace the kalk powder in you kalkwasser reactor?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best method is to monitor the saturation with an EC probe. Fully saturated kalkwasser should be 10.3 mS/cm. As the reading goes down, the saturation level decreases in linear fashion 5.15 mS/cm is 50% of full saturation.

After you test your reactor with an EC probe, you are likely to find that the large layer of undissolved kalk on the bottom is remaining just that, undissolved, and is not contributing to the saturation of the end product.

In my Geo reactor, each mixing cycle seems to dissolve less and less of the accumulated surplus, until I eventually dump the extra kalk and restart with a fresh supply.

Dennis

OP
OP
Tft12

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the conductivity probes last very long in this condition (kalkwasser solution)?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe the kalk solution has any detrimental effect on the probes. Typically EC probes are expected to last about 10 years, or at least all the ones I have owned list that for the expected lifespan.

Dennis

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, a conductivity probe is the best way. I wouldn't leave it there 24/7 as it may get coated with calcium carbonate. That is easily cleaned with weak acid, but may lead to false low readings until it is cleaned.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, a conductivity probe is the best way. I wouldn't leave it there 24/7 as it may get coated with calcium carbonate. That is easily cleaned with weak acid, but may lead to false low readings until it is cleaned.
Oh, hmm, my conductivity probe is in my kalk reactor 24x7. I had better take it out and clean it and see if the readings rise.

Dennis

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, hmm, my conductivity probe is in my kalk reactor 24x7. I had better take it out and clean it and see if the readings rise.

Dennis

You might rinse in RO/DI quickly, then dip it in tank water first and get a reading, then clean it and see if that changes.

cryptodendrum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally, I used a combination of a portable pH probe in my Kalk reactor & watching my pH & dKH to work out that I should re-charge my constant feed Kalk reactor right about at every 3 months, when scheduled for dosing 6L of kalk a day.

Now I just use Calendar reminders & monitor tank pH and dKH for any unexpected drops, which might necessitate checking the Kalk reactor pH. I've had success with this for the last few years.

But I might pick up an EC probe next time I see one on sale, just for further sanity checking / monitoring.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back