What is your reefing unpopular opinion?

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For beginner reefers, and any reefer really, genuine live rock from the ocean is a HUGE headache prevention tool.
I'm late to the party here but that's my unpopular opinion :)

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Your ugly old Metal Halides suck.
2. 10k lighting looks worse. The fish don't look (much) better, and the corals look much worse.
3. Dry Rock sucks
4. Bare-bottom tanks are a bad solution for a non-problem.
5. NS 'scapes are ugly.
6. Acro's mostly look boring unless you're really emotionally invested in them. To everyone else they're the least interesting part of your tank.
7. If you were restricted to one class of coral, LPS would would be way cooler than softies or SPS

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Your ugly old Metal Halides suck.
2. 10k lighting looks worse. The fish don't look (much) better, and the corals look much worse.
3. Dry Rock sucks
4. Bare-bottom tanks are a bad solution for a non-problem.
5. NS 'scapes are ugly.
6. Acro's mostly look boring unless you're really emotionally invested in them. To everyone else they're the least interesting part of your tank.
7. If you were restricted to one class of coral, LPS would would be way cooler than softies or SPS
Preach

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no, im implying that it is good in a balanced ecosystem but if it isnt controled, it will kill our livestock.
SOrry - I dont get it - maybe its just the context - is anyone implying we should have an 'unbalanced' ecosystem (whatever that means?

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOrry - I dont get it - maybe its just the context - is anyone implying we should have an 'unbalanced' ecosystem (whatever that means?
anyone whos using 100% actinics and is dosing at an unnatural inconsistent rate imo or has no anerobic area and is purposely killing all algae and microfauna in their tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
anyone whos using 100% actinics and is dosing at an unnatural inconsistent rate imo or has no anerobic area and is purposely killing all algae and microfauna in their tank
I'm not aware of many (any) people using 100% actinic. Dosing 'what'? Every tank has an anaerobic area. But - all of that aside. If you have a tank where tangs are eating all algae -is that tank unbalanced? or a clean up crew? Like I said - I get if you're saying a tank is 'unnatural' - I don't get the 'unbalanced part'

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reactors arent filtration
Wrong, they 100% can be filtration, just because it filters differently than live rock or macro doesn't make it not filtration. Heck, I could run my tank water through a thread canister filter, that would filter the water.
they are just unnatural ways to replicate natural processes
So they are filtration? Just not natural. But neither is our flow, or our lights, or our pumps, or the heaters. Or chemicals we add. Or the tank we hold the fish in, the environments we give to the fish, the mix of corals we put in the tank and the mix of fish, as they likely aren't all native to the same areas. Only really natural thing in our tanks is water and the live rock nitrogen cycle. Why out of all the unnatural things in our tank, is the reactors a problem?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love it (sarcasm) when hobbyists with less than a year experience (noobs) chime in with a smorgasbord of nonsense and rants. Noobies are welcome to ask questions….not answer them
Care to mention your experience? - I think I have about 40 years. That was a snarky comment - but even someone who has been doing a tank for a month - can come up with a good idea IMHO. I wonder - if people started substituting the word 'old dinosaurs' for people who had >10 years experience - would that make a better site. I've said it before I'll say it again - 'noob' - is an insult.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it (sarcasm) when hobbyists with less than a year experience (noobs) chime in with a smorgasbord of nonsense and rants. Noobies are welcome to ask questions….not answer them

Well, ya got the 'unpopular' part of this thread nailed down.

blue-thumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy and Ryan are annoying. Everything in this hobby is way too hyped. Newbies spend a-lot of money on unnecessary stuffthat is poor design and/or construction. This is the number one reason why people leave the hobby. I wish I could get back the money i spent on items that didn’t last three months. Before someone gives you free advise ask them to show you their tank. That free adise can cost alot in time, frustration, and expensive failures.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy and Ryan are annoying. Everything in this hobby is way too hyped. Newbies spend a-lot of money on unnecessary stuffthat is poor design and/or construction. This is the number one reason why people leave the hobby. I wish I could get back the money i spent on items that didn’t last three months. Before someone gives you free advise ask them to show you their tank. That free adise can cost alot in time, frustration, and expensive failures.
tallomd coming out swinging haha

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • None.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back